Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience

hi i am sexually active, i recently got a uti , and was given

Customer Question

hi i am sexually active, i recently got a uti , and was given septra, i took a pregnancy test, got back a negative, now my period is very late and i am freaking out, should i be nervous?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question, I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

Do you use any contraceptive method?

Did you have regular cycle every month?

How many days late this month?

When was the first day of your last cycle?

When did you take the pregnancy test?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i do not use any contraptives, i have a regular cycle every month i should have gotten my period thursday, i took a pregnancy test monday b4 i started taking septra, now i missed my preriod and i am freaking out that if i a m pregnant, i harmed my baby

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Please confirm the dates again.

Did you start Septra and had pregnancy test on 1st July?

Was your due date for period on 4th July??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Sara, for the information,

Illness can delay the period.

As there is urinary tract infection, it can delay the period.

Pregnancy test may not be positive 4 days before the expected date of period.

If you suspect any possibility of pregnancy, you can take a repeat pregnancy test now.

If it comes again negative, then you can take a blood pregnancy test to confirm about pregnancy.

Septra can be harmful for the baby in the early stage of pregnancy.

In animal studies some adverse effect on babies was detected. Though several studies on pregnant mother did not prove it.

Still we are cautious. If it is not needed urgently, we try to avoid it.

Mean while you can discuss with doctor about stopping the medicine and give alternative ones.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

I noticed you put a bad service rating.

Was any part of your query left unanswered?

Do you need any more clarification?

I want you to be satisfied.

Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please ask if you need any clarification.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to know how bad septra could be for my unborn baby, should I be nervous or not? How bad is it?
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

In rats who were given high doses of septra, it has been shown to have adverse effects.

In human no such well controlled study was done.

But we need to be cautious & should not take septra if not absolutely needed.

As you are not having any pregnancy symptom & the test is negative, I feel you should not be over worried.

However, I would suggest to take a test again today or tomorrow.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have put bad rating again.

It gives me no pleasure to give you such information.

But, I felt you deserved to know the truth rather than being misled.

I am sorry for that.

As the pregnancy has not been proved yet, I feel you should not worry at this moment.

If you have any difficulty in understanding any point, I am happy to explain that till you are satisfied.