Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

Can remicade and methotrexate pass through the semen I ingest

Can remicade and methotrexate pass through the semen I ingest during oral sex? My fiance has a remicade infusion every 8 weeks and takes methotrexate every week as treatment for psoriatic arthritis. I have recently had unusual health concerns. I had a UTI spread to my kidneys - treated with Cipro and then switched to Macrobid when the culture came back resistant to Cipro. (E. coli) While on the Macrobid, I got streptococcal pharyngitis (strep throat) for the first time in my life (I am a 41 year old female). I received the rapid strep test in the office to confirm strep although my tonsils were covered with large pockets of exudate. They prescribed augmentin but switched me to Keflex rather than do a prior authorization at the pharmacy when the insurance didn't cover it. (I would have paid for the augmentin.) 4 days later, I went to the ER when I was worse and they diagnosed peritonsillar abscess. I was treated intravenously with toradol for the pain, a steroid to shrink the tonsils, and Azithromycin/Zithromax. So, I'm trying to determine whether ingesting his semen is passing an immunosupressing drug into my body. I perform oral sex approximately 8 times in a week.

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

Did you have blood counts or any other tests?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had a urinalysis which came up clear today, but on Wednesday was still showing white blood cells. I've had recent blood work (I think its a comprehensive blood panel) to monitor osteomalacia. Blood work showed no anemia, cholesterol fine, and glucose fine. I haven't heard back yet on the Vitamin D levels. It is usually around an 11 when it is low. Also, I take Citalopram/Celexa daily. So, liver and kidney function were fine as well.

Thank you for the information,

Though methotrexate & remicade can suppress immunity but their excretion through semen would be very negligible.

Methotrexate is excreted mainly through urine about 80-90% & some through liver.

Again, remicade is given in injectable form.

Its absorption from intestine would be variable & should not have much effect.

In these circumstances, the presence of these drugs in semen would not be significant.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.