Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained

I am being asked to attend a hearing with the Indiana State

Customer Question

I am being asked to attend a hearing with the Indiana State Nursing board regarding an application I applied for as an advanced practice nurse and the board said I did not report a termination on my initial RN licensure 6 years. I was an unlicensed person and I actually contacted the state board of nursing and a staff person told me that I did not have to report termination as an unlicensed professional. Now, 6 yrs later I am being questioned about why I did not disclose this. I actually inquired again on my new application how i should answer them about termination as an unlicensed professional and i received 3 different answers. So i actually submitted the termination on my new application and it triggered all this mess. I thought I saw a Dr. reveiwing the question but disappeared?

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 1 year ago.
What were you terminated for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

personal conflict with co-worker. I was unlicensed as a tech and assessment specialist with a bachelor's degree in liberal arts. The agency themselves stated that i did not have to divulge the termination because it is not a licensed role and now I paying the price.

What exactly was the conflict?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was accused of intimidating another guy. I was terminated but he was not terminated even though he threatened me with a gun. I filed a discrimination charge and won.

When you applied for the job, did they ask you about any prior terminations, Etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have had several roles since 2007 and my NP gig did ask and I shared that I was terminated as i have for all of my gigs as a nurse.

So on your initial application they did ask you about prior terminations 6 years ago and you did not put it down because you did not think it applied, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In my initial application for registered nurse licensure with the state. i was instructed by their staff person to not disclose it becuase i was not a licensed professional.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Now, they are coming back to me asking why I did not disclose. i replied because your agency instructed me not to.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just don't get it. I am getting various answers on what should be reported present day as well. One staff told me to report all healthcare roles while another said i cannot tell you what to report while another said "I think it states within my scope of practice" and I replied meaning what? there staff gives varied answers to the same question, very confusing to say the least.

Ok. Well, you are supposed to disclose everything- whether you are licensed or not. The reason being, let say- you were terminated for diverting narcotics. Whether you have a license or not, this is pertinent information. Even if you have a DUI you are supposed to disclose it. The person who worked for the board was wrong. You should always err on the side of more disclosure than less- because otherwise it looks like you have something to hide.

That being said- these guys are not ogres. They don't want to take away your license unless you are a bad person. So, if you explain your situation, and it sounds reasonable- which is does- then there is nothing to be worried about. It is not like you were terminated for something bad. It was a personality conflict and you ended up winning the discrimination suit. The boards job is to investigate aberrancies. They are doing their due diligence. So if you approach it with this attitude in mind, I would NOT WORRY AT ALL.
They are making sure everything is correct. Tell them exactly what you told me and there will be no problem. If you can get a union rep to go with you, that would be even better

I hope this helps. Please leave positive feedback if it did.
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience: American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I understand. I will definitely share the same info. In fact I already have with the casemanager and litigation specialist. i am hoping that my feedback encourages the board to back off and give me guidance and direction going forward. By the way, on the Advance practice Nurse application, i did disclose because I kept getting various answers so I wanted to err on the side of caution. I think this is what started everything. I am scared to death though and I have to wait until 7/18/13 to go before them. I am supposed to start my new job on 7/22/13. I have been worried sick since I received the letter. Not a good time for me. I have been upfront, transparent and I definitelty followed the advice of the representative during that time. Thanks.

You totally did the right thing.

I was up before the medical board for something way more intense (and lame) than your situation and they heard me and let me go. When you explain the situation and it is reasonable, they are too.
They want you to work.

I was scared $&:/less too! :-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you! I appreciate the feedback. It helps. I am scare #$@ less (lol) too. Thanks again :)

Keep me posted :-)
And thanks for the rating !
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will and you earned the rating, I did not give it :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I wanted to ask a question I forgot to ask last night. Do you think it possible to get phone records or tape recording of conversations with the State Board of Nursing as far back as 2007? Also, you mentioned that the staff person was wrong for giving me this advice. However, when I look at the licensing board website, it clearly states what is considered a healthcare professional role and all are tied to licensure, certification or permit. Does this langauge also lend credence to why the staff person would give me the advice she did?

Did they tell you they were taping your conversation?
As well, what was your previous role? Permit is a very broad definition-
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I cannot remember if they recorded the conversation or not. I was a psych tech and an assessment specialist. both roles do not have a license or certification or permit attached to them. I had an undergrad degree in liberal arts and a master's in Management.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I believe that the casemanager with the state truly believed that since I was not a licensed professional and the application stated nurse or other healthcare professionals which are listed on the state board was outside of my scope of practice as a paraprofessional.

Well. It is what it is. You can ask about phone records. Either way- these details are not important. You acted on information given to you. And you did the right thing about reporting it later because you felt it was the right thing to do. The board will understand.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate your feedback. I did act upon the information I was given by the agency staff person in 2007 and I do believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was the right thing to do in reporting the termination later on. I need to relax and wait to speak to the board in a week or so. Thanks again.

Try to get some rest. It will be okay :-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you :)

Keep me posted Rick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will definitely let you know the outcome. I am speaking with my assigned casemanager and litigation specialist later today. Perhaps they will be able to shed light on why this happened and what I can expect to happen during the hearing process.

okie dokie
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I spoke with the agency and they stated their processes have changed since 2007. The person even stated that the entire staff has changed.

I had an interaction with the pre-licensure director, not value added. They forwarded me to the compliance director's voicemail. I was able to get info re: why they did not advise me. They are not allowed to advise now so I am very concerned that what was in place in 2007, processes included will not be viewed as credible. I am very concerned that they will believe that I tried to hide the termination as a non-licensed person versus actually doing the right thing and trying to answer the question with transparency.

Nick
there is nothing you can do now other than explain what was told to you and how you acted up on it
You are worrying but this is not going to change anything. Focus on the above
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Today has been much better, less worry. I left a message with the compliance director with the board and I also spoke with my atty who is an employment law attorney. I think things will work out in the end. One day at a time. Thanks

great
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Spoke with the compliance director today and you were right. I will not lose my ability to practice as an NP and that it is procedural. She said that when I explain my circumstance to the board that they will understand and not act. She agreed with me regarding the inconsistencies in the dept from 2007 to present day. I feel so much better. My attorney may go with me or simply submit a letter to the board on my behalf.

Told you so!!! :-)))
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yep :)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Cameron,

Things worked out at the Hearing. It lasted all of 5 minutes. I did not have any action taken against my license. I started working as an NP this past week. Thanks for your advice and listening ear :) Rick

Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 11 months ago.
Brilliant. Thanks for the follow up!!