Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

is it common, if you pull a muscle in your back in your sleep,

Customer Question

is it common, if you pull a muscle in your back in your sleep, lets say shoulder blade area, that when the hot water from the shower hits it, that it can hurt for a min or so?? I think I pulled a muscle... hurts to bend over, to stretch it hurts, take a deep breath and i can feel that pinch.. pulled or sprained? my mom has never heard of it being like this, and my dad is just wow.. i think I pulled something pretty good... advice?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

DR HASAN :

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I need few details.

DR HASAN :

Is there any pain on pressing that area?

DR HASAN :

Are you feeling any numbness or tingling in hand or shoulder?

DR HASAN :

Does that pain feel like an electric current?

Customer:

the area is definatly tender.. esp around the back of the armpit, like if I reach behind it and touch the area right past it going towards the sholder blade it is wicked sensitive.. it feels more like a pinch to me? No tingling that I can tell as of yet? I have felt a little pain in the shoulder and down towards the lower arm but that lasted seconds.. the pain in my back/shoulder/blade has been since about 1-2Am est. now currently 5pm est..

Customer:

shoulder blade also sort of tender.. depends on where I touch it

DR HASAN :

Thanks a lot for your input. This sounds like a pinched nerve secondary to pulled muscle.

DR HASAN :

It is not uncommon.

DR HASAN :

However this is not serious.

DR HASAN :

In such cases OTC tab aleve twice daily is the best choice.

DR HASAN :

You can apply heating pad there too.

Customer:

is it common to feel it when taking a deep breath?

DR HASAN :

You will be fine in few hours.

Customer:

i think what supprized me more was the hot water from the shower kinda hurt a little bit like it was that sensitive...

DR HASAN :

Yes because the chest muscles move while taking deep breath and feel the pain due to movement.

Customer:

aaah ok :)

DR HASAN :

Is there any redness on that area?

Customer:

a little?

DR HASAN :

The possibility of shingles should be kept in mind but the chance is only 2% out of 100.

DR HASAN :

Just take aleve and you will be fine.

Customer:

Thank you :) im glad to know its probably just a combo of a sprain and a pinched nerve

DR HASAN :

You are most welcome.

DR HASAN :

Nothing serious for sure.

DR HASAN :

I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Customer:

Thank you so much :) have a great night! you eased my mind!

DR HASAN :

You are always welcome.

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jean, how are you feeling now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Much better thank you!!:) the following day it was about 85% better with a tension headache, but about 95% better today!! Thank you so much!!
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome. I am so glad to hear this. Please feel free to ask anything anytime, I will be glad to help you always. Regards