Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

I have terrys nails. 38 years old male, no known livery disease.

I have terry's nails. 38 years old male, no known livery disease. had alt and ast measured and all appears ok. also, i recall having terry's nails for many years. i definitely remember not having a lunula even when i was a kid. my only concern is that i do drink heavily (2-3 glasses a wine daily). Thoughts?

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I need few details.

Have you got this checked by your doctor?

Has he checked your blood sugar levels, your total protein levels and thyroid hormone status?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I only recently read about Terry's nails and realized that i have them, so I did not show it to my doctor yet. I have had full blood work done about 3-4 months ago including albumin, glucose, AST, ALT. I think my TSH was measured a couple of years ago and it was normal. i do know that i always had "small veins" throughout my arms and body (not sure if this matters). So, the only "unhealthy" thing I do is drinking daily (not obscene amounts but 2-3 glasses of wine). Oh and they always tell me my kidneys are ok.

Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem but first of all i would like to reassure you that you should not stress yourself because.

1. You might not be having terry's nail because only doctor can diagnose this with confidence.
2. Liver diseases are most common cause of terry's nail followed by thyroid problems, diabetes, malnutrition etc. Your liver hormones , albumin levels (which should be low in malnutrition) and thyroid hormones are normal so there is no chance that you can have any of these problems.

You have such nails for a long time and it's not possible to have any problems for so long with normal results. Please relax and don't worry you are fine. Sometime nail abnormalities are not associated with medical problems so just see a dermatologist as per convenience. I wish you all the best for everything, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.