Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties
28277873

43 year old male - current on shots, just stuck with rusty

43 year old male - current on shots, just stuck with rusty nail about an inch in side of calf skin only not muscle. Does he need a tetnus shot?

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

If he did not have a tetanus shot in 10 years, then yes he need to be vaccinated. If he has already received the shot in 10 years --- no need to repeat.

In some cases, even if a person is completely vaccinated, he still requires vaccination (immunoglobulins) if the wound is tetanus prone (but the one you have mentioned is very superficial and not a high risk wound for tetanus).

This is in accordance with the CDC (centers for disease control and prevention USA) guidelines.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.