Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

My son says he cant burp or pass gas well. His stomach sounds

My son says he can't burp or pass gas well. His stomach sounds like a washing machine.

Hello Antonio ,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Since when are his symptoms?
Is he constipated?
Has he abdominal pain?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They began first week in April 2013, and is not constipated and does not have abdominal pain. He has difficulty passing gas and burps and they stay stuck in his intestine, and he breathes in an out and the gases feel like they are going back and forth in the intestines, and his belly sounds like a washing machine.

The reasons for excessive intestinal gas formation can be;

1) excessive air swallowing (aerophagia)

2) increased intraluminal (inside the intestine) production from mal absorbed (improperly absorbed) nutrients,

3) decreased gas absorption due to some pathological condition of intestines like diverticulosis (these are blind pouches in intestines)

4) expansion of intestinal gas due to changes in atmospheric pressure

A solitary reason or combination can be responsible for the excessive gas.

Following may help him;

1) Avoid

a) Cabbage

b) Beer

c) Legumes

d) Cheese

e) Beans

2) This may also help;

a) Bismuth subsalicylate

b) Activated charcoal

c) Simethicone; (Maalox, Mylanta); Simethicone causes gas bubbles to break up.

d) Beano; contains an enzyme (alpha-galactosidase), which helps to breakdown certain complex carbohydrates.

All are available without prescription.

Avoid foods that appear to aggravate symptoms. These may include milk and dairy products, certain fruits or vegetables, whole grains, artificial sweeteners etc. But this is based on the personal observation for the aggravating food.

3) Investigations by physician;

a) CT scan

b) Colonic transit time.

Discontinue the following if he does them;

1) gum chewing,

2) drinking carbonated beverages, and

3) gulping food and liquids.

The gas formation and mild discomfort would need to look for the following causes also;

1) Gallbladder disease

2) Irritable bowel syndrome

3) Diverticulosis
4) Gastroparesis (slow moving stomach)

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. My son wants to know if he will ever recover from this, and how long will it take if uses any of the over the counter things you recommended. My son wants to know if his symptoms could be a gall bladder problem even though he has no pain.

You are very welcome.

A gall bladder issue should be ruled out since the problem started suddenly and has been persisting for almost 3 months. Usually measures we had discussed give immediate relief and this may resolve in a week or so.

It is privilege assisting you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My son wants to know the fastest and best thing for him to do now. We cannot him out to eat as he has discomfort and he cancelled his college classes. I am very concerned and will appreciate any more information you have.

Try Maalox and PeptoBismol, which should be most helpful with the dietary measures. If these do not help; investigations would be recommended for ascertaining the cause.