Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

What are the potential consequences/complications of Human

What are the potential consequences/complications of Human Pappiloma Virus (HPV) infections in adult men?

Hello Greg,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Since how long is the infection?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not know when initially infected. discovered growths in crack of ass were warts caused by HPV and had those growths removed. I do not have any indications of any other warts present, however, I understand that they can also develop inside the body (for example inside the anus, lower GI tract). This is a concern for me and potentially for sexual partners as I am a gay male. What I wanted to know was what kind of damage can the HPV cause to adult males, other than warts? For example, can it cause cancer in males?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well can you tell me what HPV does to adult males, and does it cause cancer in adult males?

Greetings Greg,

Cancer can be related to HPV in men (mouth, anus and back of throat / pharynx), but the incidence is quite low. So it is taken as more of a risk factor than a direct causative as most of these cancers have other reasons too. The human papilloma virus has more than 100 strains and only few have been associated with the cancer. So genital / anal warts due to HPV by many strains may not cause cancer. Please read this authentic CDC site;

http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/stdfact-hpv-and-men.htm

Thus coming specifically in an individual scenario;

1) A gay male can transmit the HPV to the partners but the virus may not necessarily cause cancer. Some strains of virus do increase the risk of getting the cancer of anus, penis and pharynx.

2) The condom may prevent the spread of the virus but sometimes intimate skin contact can transmit the virus.

Please read the section, is there a test for HPV in men (above resource); it mentions that HPV can go away on its own in 1-2 years.

You may also consider vaccination of HPV; Please read the section:

Essential update: Current ACIP recommendations for human papillomavirus vaccination in adults

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/219110-overview#showall

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.