Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

The value of my hyaline casts is 4. Is that an indication

The value of my hyaline casts is 4. Is that an indication of mild, moderate or severe kidney problems?
Hi--before I answer that do you have kidney disease and what was the rest of the urinalysis report?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The values that exceeded the standard range were

pH = 8.5 (range 5.0 -8.0)

Leukocyte Esterase = 3+

WBC = 45

Squamous Eithelial = 5

Bacteria = 4+

I, of course, have a urinary track infection. I get this fairly often. I am a diabetic in fairly good control. Last A1C = 7.2. Thanks.

OK. It's a little difficult on just that much information to give you an exact answer here but the casts themselves would have nothing to do with a UTI and they can be a sign of protein being spilled by the kidneys of in cases of nephritis. By itself, hyaline casts in the urine are not a good marker of what, if any, kidney disorder there might be. I assume you've had your creatinine and BUN blood levels checked along with an estimated glomerular filtration rate. If the GFR is low, a 24 hour urine collection for creatinine can better define the kidney function.