911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician

On or about 14 June I received what I believe was an insect

On or about 14 June I received what I believe was an insect bite on the back of my left leg midway between my knee and buttock.
I did not notice the bite for several hours then i began to feel a mild pain at the site and found there was a small blister.
The subject area got red and itchy with small blisters and grew Larger. Presently the redness extends from my left knee to my buttock and has spred to my crotch area. I also have a similer small area on my upper left arm.
the area on my leg and crotch have a watery like seepage off and on.
I started taking Benedryl a few days ago, I have tried Gold Bond medicated lotion and a paste made with water and baking soda. What seems to give the most relief from the itching is applying vinegar after a shower.
I am concerned about the spreading and am considering going to the hospital emergency room.
Aside from the itching I do not have any other pain or discomfort.
What are your recommendations ?
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 9 months ago.

911Doctor :

Welcome, My answers are for educational purposes only. Remember please, that we do not get paid if you do not click 'accept' / give positive ratings!

911Doctor :

I am an Emergency physician

911Doctor :

you absolutely need to go now, tonight, to the ER

911Doctor :

the concern is not so much for what bit you

911Doctor :

but for the fact that your symptoms are increasing

911Doctor :

and that the rash is spreading

911Doctor :

you may indeed need to be admitted to the hospital

911Doctor :

for IV antibiotics

911Doctor :

you certainly need a good physical exam

911Doctor :

and probably some lab work

911Doctor :

there is, in fact, a very dangerous condition called Fournier's gangrene

911Doctor :

which is a skin infection of the perneal area or crotch

911Doctor :

sir, it is essential to go to the hospital now

911Doctor :

do you have questions for me?

911Doctor :

are you there?

911Doctor :

I do not see you in the chat session

911Doctor :

I am going to switch to a Q and A session

911Doctor :

for ease of use

911Doctor :

but do please go to the hospital now

911Doctor :

and if this has been helpful

911Doctor :

pleas do consider leaving positive feedback

911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.