Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Is there a problem? I have been waiting more than 2 hours.I

Is there a problem? I have been waiting more than 2 hours.I was bitten on the back of the hand by an adult cat that seems to have a respiratory infection. The bite was very superficial and resulted in a slight blood spot but no bleeding. I immediately cleansed and treated with Neosporin cream. I have never had a tetanus shot. What are the dangers of infections?
Hi--sorry but I just was made aware of your question. I assume the cat has had all his proper vaccinations. If you have never had a tetanus shot beyond the usual childhood vaccinations with DPT you definitely need a booster for this. Cat bites can cause fairly severe infections with a organism called Pasteurella multocida so for now washing and the Neosporin is fine, but if redness, swelling, and pain begin to develop in and around the wound, you should have a doctor look at it since most likely you'd need oral antibiotics at that stage
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your reply. I will get a tetanus shot very soon.

It's OK so long as you get it within the next five days
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.

My pleasure--any time