Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Does eating right after excercise affect the way nutrients

Does eating right after excercise affect the way nutrients are absorbed or calories are burned? I ask because my company sells Bike-powered blenders that raise the heart rate right before our customers drink the smoothie.
Interesting question. The basic answer, though, is no, eating right after exercising in the long run does not affect the nutrient absorption and, although the metabolism is somewhat stimulated by the exercise, that would only account for a small extra burning of calories. In other words, the smoothie's calories might be burned a little more but it really wouldn't matter whether the smoothie were consumed right after the exercising or, say, an hour later. Exercise burns calories--either those on board before or those taken in right after, and the total calories burned is the same regardless of when they are consumed.