Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained
16455829

Can a MD certified in California prescribe drugs in Hawaii

Can a MD certified in California prescribe drugs in Hawaii?
Hi
I am a MD from California.
If you are practicing in one state, you cannot practice in another without certification by the board.
That being said, a MD can prescribe and call in a rx to a different state in which she or he is not licensed in, providing that the pharmacist determines in "good faith" that there exists a patient /physician relationship from before and that the MD is qualified to prescribe that certain medication.
There are a couple of exceptions, like Texas- they will not fill an out of state prescription, period.
In Hawaii a controlled substance cannot be called in or written for by a doctor from out of state. If the medication isn't a controlled substance then you can. But it is up to the discretion of the pharmacist, as I mentioned above.

Good luck

Please leave positive feedback if this was helpful