Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.

Sorry for the length of question but here it is: I am 43,

Sorry for the length of question but here it is:

I am 43, F, no children, 5'2", 112lb.
Nonsmoker, no drugs, alcohol consumption varies from 0-8 drinks/week (never more than 2 or 3 drinks in a 24 hour period), usually half that.
Previously exercised 3-6 times a week; starting having bursitis or tendinitis and other injuries regularly beginning March 2010, which has impacted my exercise ability. Weight has gone from 101lb to 105lb, then in last several weeks 112lb.

I began having what I thought was hot flashes a year ago. September - October 2012 they were daily, as frequently as every 45 minutes for at least six weeks. They have for the most part subsided.

Hormonal tests show I am in menopause.

May 4, 2013 as I was driving to meet a friend for dinner, I felt a sharp pain near my sternum and under my left breast area. I was wearing a corset (I wear them frequently), and I squirmed around in it to try to relieve the pain. Nothing seemed to help. Even after I removed the corset two hours later (while still in public, it was that bad), I still felt immensely uncomfortable.

The pain subsided that night. Two days later, I ate lunch at a Chinese restaurant in San Francisco. 4 or 5 hours later, I started feeling a SIGNIFICANT amount of pressure in my upper abdomen (pretty certain it was stomach or higher). It reminded me of when I had food poisoning before. I forced myself to throw up a little, which temporarily seemed to help. The feeling returned when I flew home the next day and for several days I dealt with constant nausea and this bloated feeling. Nothing really relieved it.

I began hormone replacement therapy second week of May. Testosterone cream applied daily to upper arms, plus DHEA and Vitamin D. 10 days into it I felt great. I then realized I was taking too much DHEA and stopped while I looked for a lower dose supplement. Last week of May I hit a 'wall' so to speak and felt exhausted. I literally slept for close to 24 hours. I found a lower dose DHEA supplement and began taking that. I felt a little better, for a few days. That's when things got worse.

Over the course of the next week, I got immensely bloated. I gained several pounds. My waist went from 24" to 29". IN ONE WEEK. I was miserable, I had a hard time breathing, and honestly my voice sounded ?watery? - I can't describe it. I had what seemed like chest pain or indigestion (I've never had it before so I don't know). I stopped everything except the testosterone. I wrote two emails to my doc who put me on the BHRT, but the only thing they could suggest was take Gas-X, a probiotic, and drink peppermint tea. I started to feel better after a few days of taking TUMS (around June 6). Since then, I've noticed if I take the Vitamin D supplement I start to bloat again (might be coincidence? IDK). Also if I take the DHA (not DHEA) supplement.

As if that wasn't bad enough, the nauseated feeling that started when I was in San Francisco still hasn't totally left. On my way to lunch June 25, I suddenly got a pain on the left side of my neck and felt not quite right. Figuring I just was hungry, I went straight to a restaurant; pain lasted several minutes but did subside. Pressure on the side of my neck, a little under the ear, helped in spurts. I still didn't feel 'right' though the entire rest of the day. I got home and went to bed.

Same thing happened July 1. I didn't even eat though, I had them bag it and took the food home and took a four hour nap.

I constantly feel full. It feels like I have to burp a lot, which never was an issue before (I'm not a burper by any stretch of the imagination). I am nauseated. I get dizzy and I am exhausted, and sometimes it seems hard to breathe. I haven't felt 'right' in a ridiculously long time. I have no idea what is going on but it has GOT to stop. Any suggestions would be really helpful.

I do not have a primary care physician, and I do not have insurance, so please keep that in mind.

Thank you!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

I have read through your question .

The on and and off symptoms of bloating and nausea is very suggestive of cholecystitis likely due to gall bladder stones. This is commonly diagnosed by clinical examination followed by an ultrasound examination, usually diagnostic.This will also tell you the status of the cholecystitis (acute or chronic) and the treatment that would be necessary for you like medicines or surgery.

However,as I have not clinically examined you, I would still provide you one or two other possibilities like gastritis pain or esophagitis.

At this point, since you do not have a doctor or insurance, you could go to a low cost health center near you or in your area. This is important as if the condition is not diagnosed, TUMS is not going to hep you for long but temporarily it would be helpful. Try to make sure that you avoid all kinds of fatty meals and take small meals. This is going to prevent the feeling of bloating and fullness.

If you have any further question, I would be happy to help you.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to rate my service positive once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I looked up cholecystitis and I haven't had right sided issues at all. Is there anything I can do at home to test the theory? For example, eat a particular thing and note what happens over X time? Or something like that?

Thanks,

M

Hello Melissa, Yes its true that cholecystitis usually cause right sided pain (a typical case) but that is not always seen. Sometimes the symptoms like pain is more often seen in the epigastrium (upper mid abdomen) as gastritis / acidity is often associated with gall bladder stones .In practice, we usually find patients who complains of upper mid abdominal pain and some patients are even asymptomatic meaning there is no pain felt at all. But only feeling of fulness and often an ultrasound reveals gall bladder stones.

With gall bladder stones (cholelithiasis), you may find that the feeling of bloating or fullness is seen after usually after a meal.
There is no fixed time for such symptoms to appear but the symptoms are generally seen after a meal when your stomach is full although it can happen at any time. If it is only gastritis, you would find that the symptoms are more common between meals when your stomach is relatively empty.

You do not have to rush to an urgent care or ER but I would strongly advise you to be seen and examined by an MD as early as possible in a low cost health center. Here is a link for your help.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the emergency room.