Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years

I have lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks. Is that too slow of a pace?

I have lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks. Is that too slow of a pace? I just wonder since I am in my 40s and have problems with my thyroid gland and take 125 MCG of Synthroid once a day for that reason and I have heard that problems like these can cause one's metabolism to work slow. Thank you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Have you started with dietary and lifestyle changes to reduce weight?
What do you mean by this term- Is that too slow of a pace ?
What is your current height and weight?
For how long you have been taking Synthroid?
Any other health or medical problems

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I have been eating smaller rations and eat less.

What I mean by too slow of a pace is that should I have lost more than 10 pounds in 3 weeks.

I am 5 feet 9 inches tall or maybe 5 feet 8 inches tall, and weigh 320 pounds.

I have taken Synthroid for 7 years, maybe 6 years. I am not too sure.

I also have hypertension, allergies, gastritis, spinal stenosis, anxiety, vertigo, and hemorrhoids.

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for all these additional details. I am sorry to hear about your problems.

Considering your height and weight BMI comes to be 48.7
Body mass index (BMI) is a measure of body fat based on height and weight.
Underweight = <18.5
Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
Overweight = 25-29.9
Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater.

You have a BMI of 48.7 and at present you lie in Obesity category.

A weight loss of more than 2 pounds per week is not good due to what is called Yoyo effect. It is the cycle of losing and regaining weight.
This happens when a person tries to reduce a significant amount of weight in a short period of time through rigid dieting and then suddenly discontinues dieting because of boredom or sheer hunger.

When this happens, the person gains weight but this time becomes even heavier than before dieting started.

So, loosing 2 pounds of your weight in 1 week, is sufficient, You should not try more than that, as it can cause side effects.
Loosing 10 pounds in just 3 week, is pretty good. Though usually doctor advise to go for loosing not more than 2 pounds in one week.

You should do Yoga ,Aerobic exercise-walking, cycling or swimming, deep breathing that increase the oxygen intake to the body cells, including the fat cells causing increased oxidation or burning up of fat cells.

You should eat more fruits, vegetables and whole grains.Increase Fiber in diet.
You can take six small meals rather than large meals. You should Avoid Fats , fried foods.
Drink Plenty of water(10- 15 glasses per day).

Thyroid gland secretes hormones to regulate metabolic processes, including growth and energy expenditure. During hypothyroidism, body fails to secrete enough hormones into the bloodstream. This causes the person’s metabolism to slow down.

However, with medications like Synthroid, metabolism can again rise up.
You are working pretty good, to reduce your weight, No need to get panic.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business

Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience: Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years