Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

About 5 weeks ago after lots of repetitive lifting, I started

About 5 weeks ago after lots of repetitive lifting, I started to experience a pain in my right leg just under the patella. The pain is sharp (3 out of 10) around the point where the tendon meets the patella when walking a bit or when squatting and there is a often a mild burning pain/ache/fullness present when I am fairly still (1 out of 10). I observe what I think is crepitis with both kneecaps when I squat. However there is almost no pain in the leg that crackles the significant amount. The painful leg doesn't crackle much at all.

I am 48 and I am guessing that I might have Chondromalacia patella and/or patellar tendinosis. It has been five weeks now. With the exception of one day that I stressed my knees after first experiencing this pain (four weeks ago), I have taken care not to do anything that might hinder any healing. My question is: From your OWN experience: 1) What is a likely outcome - do I have a chronic condition that is it likely to persist? and 2) are there valid things (for example: cross friction massage) that can be done to prevent chronic pain?

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray MD : For one it does sound likely that you have chodromalacia of the patella. The crepitation that you feel with bending the knee would fit with probable chindromalacia....
Anthony Bray MD : This condition is not usually painful at least not in early or moderate states...
Anthony Bray MD : The pain that you describe sounds like some tendinitis of the patellar tendon.
Anthony Bray MD : For this you would benefit from a combination of rest, applying ice to the sore point for 10 minutes two or three times a day, taking an anti- inflammatory MEDS such as Advil or Aleve , rest as you have been doing...
Anthony Bray MD : The tendonitis wod be a chronic inflammation but would tend to improve with proper treatment as described above...
Anthony Bray MD : As for the chodromalacia of the patella this is caused by roughing up of the cartilage under the kneecap. If severe then an orthopedic surgeon may smooth out the problem with laparoscopic surgery. Most cases of this condition do not require surgery however.
Anthony Bray MD : i hope this information helps. Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you !
Anthony Bray MD : Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!
Anthony Bray MD : If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be much appreciated. Thank you and best regards,
Customer:

Is that tendinosis with tears? Will they heal, will the pain go away and if so when?

Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD : Hello the tendonitis is inammation of the tendon... This is the aspect that seems to be causing your pain. It most often will settle down over a few weeks with proper treatment --/ anti- inflammatory MEDS , rest, applying cold pak or ice for 10 -15 minutes three timrs a day...
Anthony Bray MD : the condition can be recurrent or chronic in the more severe cases ...
Anthony Bray MD : The condition does not typically involve tears within a tendon bbit inflammation of this structure...
Anthony Bray MD : I hope that this information is helpful. Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!
Customer:

So, my condition as described does not indicate too much damage then in your expert opinion? (my last question)

Anthony Bray MD : if my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be much appreciated. Thank you Nd best regards,
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD : Right... It does not sound of need for surgery for example at this point....
Customer:

Thanks for your help.