Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Hello Dr. Bray my question is about the rib area. You see my

Hello Dr. Bray my question is about the rib area. You see my husband was recently injured while stopping our car that was rolling down a little slope. He said he felt like he maybe cracked a rib or something. The pain was bad for a day or so but he had just ran straight into the car mind you it was rolling backwards. Two days later he went to bend over to pick something up off the ground and he heard a pop or a snap and felt pain extreme pain. Now
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--where exactly is the pain right now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi his pain is on his left side like two fingers up from his belly button. There is a slight bruise and a small indent it looks like. He has a hard time breathing and moving but he is moving around he also has uncontrolled asmah and a breast bone that arches outward not indented I don't know if that matter.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. Are his ribs tender in that area or is this actually in his abdomen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well the pain isn't from breathing problems we don't think because he uses an inhaler.He said he feels pain bending over and lifting a cup to drink water. He feels pressure when he has to talk and moving side to side. He actually heard and felt a poping sound when he bent over.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--this could just be a bruised rib and even a fractured rib in general isn't too serious and just needs about four to six weeks to heal. That said, I am concerned about the pain and the popping since the area you describe could represent an injury to his spleen. Potentially he may have a small tear in it and it could possibly rupture. For that reason, I strongly suggest he get to an emergency room for evaluation and a ct scan of his abdomen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

seeing as the pain happened first with the car situation then two says later bending over it was again with the pain. You say the spleen huh?? How does one tear a spleen? What are the symptoms ,if it is his spleen, that I should look for? The ER here is known for not helping as much as watching or making people suffer, and with no medical cover it seems wrong to go them. What are the probable outcomes if it his spleen, will they have to operate?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. Any blow to the left upper quadrant of the body--the upper left abdomen or lower left rib cage--could tear the capsule--the covering of the spleen. Two days later, in bending over, that tear could open up and bleeding occur. The symptoms would be significant pain in that area. I'm not saying this actually happened but it is possible. Usually there doesn't need to be an operation--the tear heals on its own but it has to be watched for about six weeks. At least he ought to see a doctor at a walk-in clinic to just have a look.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Dr. Chip for your answer. We will get him to the clinic on Monday. He basically has to take it easy for the next few weeks then and thanks to you we will be sure he does. He also has great pain when he sneezes and cough. I guess I want to hear that he will be okay and that with rest it will heal, but we will go check if it may be his spleen. Again thank you for your opinion Doctor.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure and it may only be a bruised or cracked rib but I just wanted him to get it checked out. Please remember to rate my service to you
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice