Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have had a lap band for 3 years with no problem. Recently

I have had a lap band for 3 years with no problem. Recently about an hour after eating I will get horrific pain in my back and it will last 2-3 hours. It then goes away and i feel fine. i just had a lot of blood work done and my "bad Cholesterol" was a little high. For the last month i have been eating way to much ice cream, otherwise my diet is ok.
Thank you
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

mysticdoc :

Do you have any nausea, vomiting?

mysticdoc :

Pain radiating to the back can be due to the acute pancreatitis.

mysticdoc :

Gallbladder disorder also can cause similar symptoms.

JACUSTOMER-k94b1sdg- :

No nausea or vomiting. A couple of burbs and a little gas

mysticdoc :

Does gasX help?

JACUSTOMER-k94b1sdg- :

I thought possibly gallbladder. I really think it was brought on my the ice cream. I could do 1/2 gallon in 2 days. I realize how stupid that is.

mysticdoc :

that is a lot of ice cream.

mysticdoc :

Yes likely gallbladder if you still have it.

JACUSTOMER-k94b1sdg- :

If it does it is hard to tell. There is no immediate effect.

mysticdoc :

also, pancreatitis another possibility.

mysticdoc :

sometimes it may not cause classical symptoms.

JACUSTOMER-k94b1sdg- :

do both pancreatitis and GB gradually get back to normal?

JACUSTOMER-k94b1sdg- :

I am not a binge eater, the ice cream just went down so easy in this hot weather.

mysticdoc :

yes the attacks can be intermittent

JACUSTOMER-k94b1sdg- :

What do you recommend i eat?

JACUSTOMER-k94b1sdg- :

Diffidently no more ice cream

mysticdoc :

low fat diet.

mysticdoc :

Eat smaller, more frequent meals to ensure a better mix with available bile. Take small amounts of lean protein, such as poultry, fish and nonfat dairy, at every meal, along with vegetables, fruit and whole grains.

Avoid high-fat foods, fried and greasy foods, and fatty sauces and gravies. Opt for nonfat or low-fat foods. Read labels and look for foods with 3 grams of fat or less a serving.

JACUSTOMER-k94b1sdg- :

I know you don't have a crystal ball, but will this gradually go away?

mysticdoc :

that is a good question.

mysticdoc :

In some cases, you may not need any surgery.

mysticdoc :

Diet modification is all that is required.

mysticdoc :

You will have less attackes.

JACUSTOMER-k94b1sdg- :

What type of tests are done to diagnosis this?

mysticdoc :

Blood tests --liver function test, amylase, lipase

mysticdoc :

Ultrasound or a CT scan with contrast.

mysticdoc :

Ultrasound is better for gallstones.

JACUSTOMER-k94b1sdg- :

I usually have oatmeal or a weight watchers drink for breakfast. Is that ok?

mysticdoc :

CT scan is better for pancreatitis.

mysticdoc :

yes that is ok.

JACUSTOMER-k94b1sdg- :

crackers?

mysticdoc :

yes that is also ok

mysticdoc :

just avoid pizza, ice cream, red meat, fried and greasy food.

JACUSTOMER-k94b1sdg- :

Oh, i also threw out the potato chips and dip a long with all of the ice cream. I have lost 50 pounds with the band and only fluctuate 5 pounds one way or the other. I think i am paying for my errant behaviors.

JACUSTOMER-k94b1sdg- :

How long would you guess till it gets better?

JACUSTOMER-k94b1sdg- :

It only started over the weekend.

mysticdoc :

once you change you diet, within a week, you should see improvement.

JACUSTOMER-k94b1sdg- :

ok. Thank you. will i get a copy of this discussion?

mysticdoc :

very welcome

mysticdoc :

yes you will once you complete the rating process.

mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Please rate the chat Good or Excellent, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD