Dr. Amir Javed
Dr. Amir Javed, Doctor
Experience:  Master in Internal medicine (London), MBBS, expert in health and fitness (six years experience)
16101430

I have a pain behind my left shoulder blade along with popping

I have a pain behind my left shoulder blade along with popping in my shoulder when I rotate it. It's not excruciating, but I want to see if it could be serious. I do work out with weights a few times per week. Part of what I do is 3 sets of 10 chin ups. I do that 3x per week as well. Could this be causing it?
Thanks for the question and coming here. I would like to say that this can be due to muscular tear & spasm but very important to investigate or rule out possibilities such as shoulder dislocation or minor fracture, labrum tear in shoulder, degenerative joint disease like osteoarthritis. I will highly advise to see your physician for examination and tests such as x-ray shoulder joint or MRI might be needed. It is important to have early evaluation.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to click either 2 "poor service" or 1 "bad service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. My goal is excellent service which is rating 5. Rating of 4 or 5 is highly highly appreciated as this is the only way we doctors can get credit here. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Best wishes
Dr. Amir Javed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you think it could be something serious? I have a fear of cancer, so I'm always afraid of things like this.
I am not concern about cancer to be honest here unless there are risk factors such as family history of cancer and some other typical symptoms. I will suggest to see your physician for evaluation and tests to rule out the possibilities which I mentioned above.

Best wishes
Dr. Amir Javed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have a physical scheduled in to weeks. Do you think I can wait until then?

As far as cancer, I did have mild lymphendopathy in my neck a month and a half ago from a ct scan. The ct scan of my abdomen was normal. I had a needle biopsy of a small (0.7 cm) node on my neck and it was benign. My blood work was also normal. Based on all of that, do you still believe its not cancer?

I'll be going to get it checked out at my physical.
Yes you can wait and see your doctor in two weeks time but if pain is severe or increasing in intensity or constant then highly suggest to see your physician early or visit ER. I will suggest to avoid doing heavy exercise until see your physician due to risk of more damage.

Best wishes
Dr. Amir Javed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Thank you. Could you answer this part as well?

Yes I am glad that it was benign and already biopsy of node was done. Your blood tests were normal as well. I will suggest to see your physician for examination as you are going to see doctor in two weeks time. Follow the guidelines which I gave and you will fine these hopeful.

Best wishes
Dr. Amir Javed.