Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have done my blood test last week including my cholestrol,

I have done my blood test last week including my cholestrol, wbc, RBC, Heomoglobin, Hematocrit, MCV, MCH, MCHC, RDW, Platelets etc..

I found other readings are on normal range but the following are in "high" range.

MCV 100 (ref range = 79 - 97)
MCH 34.2 (ref range = 26.6 - 33.0)
RDW 20.3 (ref range = 12.3 - 15.4)

Symptoms: Nausea for last 10-12 days, some times breathlessness.

I just wanted to check on the following things.

0.WHat does these abnormalities indicate?

1.Is this abnormal reading of my blood test ok, and will be normal soon if i take some precautions.

2. What precautions I should take.

3. I take one drink a day. Do I need to stop it for sometime.

4. Any other advice

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray MD : Well the abnormalities are not that bad in the whole scheme of things....
Anthony Bray MD : The cause needs to be determined as there are different possible causes....
Anthony Bray MD : if you smoke then that itself is a common cause of high MCV( mean cell volume or size of your red cells)
Anthony Bray MD : b-12 deficiency and folate deficiency should be checked as these are possible reasons both for the high MCV and the high RDW( red cell distribution width ... High values mean that you have much variability of the size of your red cells....)
Anthony Bray MD : certain heriditary conditions may also account for such changes...
Anthony Bray MD : The cause of your nausea should be checked into. This may be unrelated to the blood tests....
Customer:

I had Vit D deficiency for long time and I took supplyments for that

Customer:

I dont smoke

Anthony Bray MD : The most common cause of nausea would be stomach lining irritation such as gastritis or an ulcer... Other causes may be checked into if the symptom should persist....urinary tract infections, migraine headaches, liver inflammation are other possible causes. Of nausea for example....
Customer:

ok,

Customer:

the above abnormal readings are alarming?

Customer:

the abnormal reading on the MCV, RDW etc are first time in my blood.

Anthony Bray MD : I would advise that you may start a medicine to reduce the acid in the stomach and this may help the nausea.... Prilosec or Prevacid as examples.... Avoid GI irritants including alcohol, coffee, spicy foods and acidic foods, tomatoes, onions, peppers and anti- inflammatory MEDS such as Advil or aspirin or Aleve ( Tylenol ok for the stomach) if the nausea continues follow up with your doctor on this problem!!! Further investigation may be needed...
Anthony Bray MD : No the abnormalities here are NOT that arming but follow up recommended...
Customer:

is the abnormal readings related with liver?

Anthony Bray MD : are you taking supplemental vitamin D now such as OTC vitamin D 3 800 IU/ day ?? That would be one way to treat the vitamin D deficiency....
Anthony Bray MD : No the bone marrow's production of your blood cells... These are minor induces as opposed to major indices HGB, WBC, platelets for example ....
Anthony Bray MD : I would advise follow up check and check on your B-12 and folate levels...
Anthony Bray MD : I hope this helps! Let me know if you have further questions! I will be happy to get back with you!