Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

After a high intensity soccer and tug-of-war session last week

After a high intensity soccer and tug-of-war session last week (my first real exercise in 3-4 weeks) I suddenly developed a bad cold, combined with a general feeling of nausea and my joints have felt weak, and my muscles have ached slightly and been very tight. Although I am still capable of walking and running and my stamina levels have not dropped my muscles themselves and the tendons and joints feel very tired and jelly-like, and I experience tightness in my calves. The strange feelings are at very specific points - just above and below my knee caps, just below my right ankle, and on the tendons on the inside of my elbows, and just at the top of my wrists. The way this has been coupled with my illness is somewhat worrying. What is wrong with me?

Hello Alex,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Your symptoms are most likely due to;

1) Post viral weakness; cold is a viral illness which may many times give lingering symptoms of weakness, tiredness etc.

2) An overuse syndrome (sudden burst of activity / soccer and tug or war); too fast, too much in too small duration can cause muscle and tendon pains (tendonitis / bursitis of knee, ankle and wrist).

The management / treatment entails;

a) Rest is the key; One should avoid repetitive lower and upper extremity stress for at least 1 to 2 weeks.

b) Stretching exercises

c) Ice or ice massage

d) Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen (Motrin / Advil) can reduce inflammation and help manage pain.

e) Whirlpool, phonophoresis, iontophoresis, and ultrasound; done in physical therapy centers.

Having said that; if the symptoms increase or do not subside in a week; you may need to consult your primary care physician for the examination.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.