Dr. Anil Kumar
Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience:  M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.

Are these symptoms of vitiligo...1mm white dots on skin? I

Customer Question

Are these symptoms of vitiligo...1mm white dots on skin?
I have 1mm white dots on my skin and have had them for several years (6 years). The dots on my skin range in color from a light tan to white color. The dots have remained the same size and sometimes I get new ones where sores have been. The sore turns into a 1mm white dot after it heals. Can vitiligo start out as 1mm light tan to white colored dots? Can vitiligo start out as a sore than turn white as it heals and remain white (post inflammatory hypopigmentation? Could I have vitiligo?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.

What is your age?

Associated itching,pain?

Where do you have this white spot?

Any other medical history?

Are you taking any medications?

Excessive sun exposure?

Oily skin?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My age is 35 years-old. There is no itching or pain associated with the spots. I have the spots on my arms, legs, and stomach. I have no other medical history and I am not taking any medications. I do not have excessive sun exposure and I have dry skin.

Thanks for providing more information.

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.

As you describe possible causes of white spots on the skin can be post inflammatory hypopigmentation,vitiligo,p versicolor,idiopathic guttate hypomelanosis.

the treatments depends on the cause: you can apply cream called Melgain lotion on the white spots at night and expose to sunlight the next day in the morning for 10 minutes.
The white spots will get a color over a period of time.

If there is no improvement in the color , you can visit a dermatologist who would examine your skin under a Wood's lamp to come to a exact diagnosis.

Further treatment may include exposure to UVB light, called phototherapy, and would only be prescribed by a doctor.

Medications applied topically that can help include Elidel and Protopic, which can result in restoration of the pigmentation, and are prescribed by a doctor.

I hope I've provided
the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please
provide a positive rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help
you. Thank you.

Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience: M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Does monobenzone for Vitiligo change hair texture if I were to put the cream on my scalp and hair? Will monobenzone cream make my hair curlier and kinky if I use it on my hair and scalp? I have done this before for Vitiligo treatment and it seem to make my hair much more curlier and kinky than it was before (I did this 5 years ago and my original hair texture has not return to its straighter state). Does monobenzone change hair texture when used on the scalp and hair, making it curlier and kinky? How do I get my straighter hair texture back to the way it originally was?

Expert:  Dr. Anil Kumar replied 12 months ago.
Well Monobenzone can cause make your hair curly however not permanently.
Monobenzone does not cause permanent damage to the hair roots and texture.
It should return to normal within 3 to 4 months after discontinue monobenzone.
You should consult your dermatologist for further evaluation and management.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I will rate this response as excellent. I used monobenzone on my hair 5 years ago and have not used it since then. My hair has not returned back to normal within 5 years. If it should return to normal in 3 to 4 months from being curlier to returning to straighter hair, what can I do to get my original straighter hair texture back? It seems like it will never return to normal, because it has been pass 3 to 4 months, it has been 5 years. Should I use some sort of steroid cream for the hair to make it return to its straighter state? I am very concerned I will not get my original hair texture back. Is there something that can be done to return my hair to my straighter state?

Usually we see the temporary effects of Monobenzone cream on hair and it will not cause any DNA damage and the hair changes usually reverse once the hair grows out again.
In your case,as such hair damage has not been improving for a long period of time so other causative factors should be ruled out.

The change in the hair texture is due to production of amount of sebum from the hair. The sebum production is in turn controlled by body hormones like thyroid and testosterone (in females too).
So further thyroid function test,Serum testosterone levels,Complete blood count should be done to rule out underlying thyroid dysfunction,Anemia,Hormonal imbalance.
Steroid cream is effective only in initial stage of vitiligo.
You can ask your dermatologist for prescribed lotion for hair specifically.

I hope this helps.
Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I just had thyroid and blood test done and everything was normal. Can a steroid cream or hair lotion help my hair texture come back? Is there a steroid cream and hair lotion that would help my hair to return to its straighter state? I'm asking if everything is normal, than what can be done to return my hair to normal?

Well it's good if your blood work is fine.
Hair lotion can be helpful to regain your hair texture back.
And you need to get prescription from dermatologist.
So consult your dermatologist for further evaluation and management.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I have a follow-up to the question concerning using monobenzone on my hair and scalp. I stop using monobenzone several years ago (about 6 years ago) and my hair is still kinkier and curlier than it was originally. You suggested hair lotion may return it to its straighter state. What type of hair lotion should I use and where do I get this hair lotion to buy? Will I always now have to use this hair lotion or does a few applications return my hair to its original straighter state?

Expert:  Dr. Anil Kumar replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for the follow-up.
You need to get prescription from a dermatologist for hair lotion.
As strength of hair lotion can be determined as per your hair texture.

Avoid over the counter hair lotions as they don't provide you good results.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Is the hair lotion a relaxer and do I always must continue to use it or use it a few times? Thank you for your help.

You need to use it regularly for few weeks and then if it responds then use it alternately.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Sorry for so many questions, but I need to know the name of these hair lotion(s), what it does (if it is just a relaxer or a special hair lotion), and if I need to use it everyday, every month, for the rest of my life (permanently) to get my original straighter hair? Can I use it a few times and get my naturally straighter hair, never use it again and I still maintain my original straighter hair? Please answer all these questions. I appreciate your help?

You can try some hair products-
John Frieda Secret Weapon Flawless Finishing Creme
Got2Be Crazy Sleek XL Conditioning Flat Iron & Blow Dry Lotion
Dove Hair Therapy Nourishing Oil Care Anti-Frizz Serum
L'Oreal EverSleek Finishing Creme
TRESemme Tres Extra Firm Control Gel
Smooth 'n Shine Polishing Instant Repair Spray-On Polisher

You have to apply them daily.
If you want to straighten your hair permanently then you should consider rebounding hair.

I hope this helps.