911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

I have been working on laying tile on my deck. developed a

Customer Question

I have been working on laying tile on my deck. developed a sharp pain on right side of my neck 2 days ago that ice doesn't seem to be helping with. pain starts at base of neck on right side and travels up behind ear. If I get in just the right position I don't feel at all but when I move ....bam ... the pain shoots up my neck. Ice numbs it while its on but when removed the pain returns almost immediately. Can't turn my head to the right but no problem turning to left, what can I do to alleviate ??

PS - I'm 49 and figured the repetitive motion of laying tile and whipping mortar caused a strain but not sure.

Dave
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.

911Doctor :

Welcome, My answers are for educational purposes only. Remember please, that we do not get paid if you do not click 'accept' / give positive ratings!

911Doctor :

So it would certainly seem that you may have a trapezius strain (muscle) and perhaps some spasm as well from your work.

911Doctor :

Do you have any other symptoms at all that you have not mentioned? Pain down the arm? Tingling down the arm? A rash in the area of the pain?

911Doctor :

standing by

911Doctor :

to respond put your cursor in the box below, type your response, and click reply.

911Doctor :

so I do not see a response....

911Doctor :

it does not sound like you have a herniated disc in your neck... this is on the list but unlikely given the pain right along the musculature on one side

911Doctor :

more likely this is muscular and something called 'torticollis'....

911Doctor :

basically a neck strain

Customer:

No other symptoms at all

Customer:

Sorry computer froze

911Doctor :

the typical treatment for this is motrin or similar medication along with a muscle relaxant

911Doctor :

no worries

911Doctor :

heat at this point might be more help than ice

Customer:

I thought ice would help but doesn't seem too

Customer:

didn't think heat was for strains

911Doctor :

if you have access to a good primary care physician it might be worth your while to get in and get seen as a couple of days of a good pain reliever and muscle relaxor would be of great help IF this is truly muscular (and it sounds like it is)

Customer:

what do I know >>

911Doctor :

the other benefit of being seen is so that a good muscular and nerve exam can be done to maker sure this is simply a muscle spasm/strain

911Doctor :

again, it does sound like that

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer:

I think I'm also sleeping wrong on it due to the pain and making it worse

911Doctor :

that's certainly possible

911Doctor :

are you taking any medicine right now?

Customer:

Go it. I was hoping to avoid visit

Customer:

no taking nothing for it

911Doctor :

you might be able to

Customer:

I take advil for headaches thats it

911Doctor :

you could certainly try the motrin, warm compresses, and rest

911Doctor :

and you will likely get better slowly

911Doctor :

the right medicines can help break spasm faster, so that would be the benefit of getting seen, along with ruling out unlikely causes

Customer:

Sounds good, Now I can tell my wife I was ordered to sit down and watch TV

Customer:

Thank you.

Customer:

Mad Man repeats here I come !!

911Doctor :

yes, you can. now go turn on ESPN and have her bring you food.

911Doctor :

and beer.

911Doctor :

lol

Customer:

Nice. Ill tell her you said that not me !!

911Doctor :

haha

911Doctor :

good luck. hope you feel better soon. if you develop symptoms in the arm or any numbness or weakness of the arm then you absolutely should be seen as soon as possible. but you will likely get better slowly with heat, rest, and motrin.

911Doctor :

do you have any final questions for me?

Customer:

No that will do it. I will try heat and advil and watch for any other symptoms.

Customer:

Thank you !

911Doctor :

very well

911Doctor :

you are welcome

911Doctor :

come back anytime. I am usually on during the day, ask for '911doc'.

911Doctor :

positive feedback always appreciated.

911Doctor :

good night.

Customer:

will do

911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

By the way, your advice worked like a charm. Neck is back to 100%

Thank you !!

Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.
So glad to hear it!
Best