Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience
8227957

I went to urgent care with coughing chest tightness and shortness

I went to urgent care with coughing chest tightness and shortness of breath. I had just finished up a huge course of augmentin. All though I was feeling better i was having episodes of coughing and shortness of breath. I went to urgent care the on call doctor decided no more anti biotics he gave me a diagnosis of chronic bronchitis and viral bronchitis. I was put on Flovent 1 puff every 12 hours. I breath so much better and the coughing spells are better but I still get them and my chest still bothers me. I can't see my pulmonoligist until next week. I can't excercise without chest discomfort. I'm in college and walking around campus is hard because just can't get my breath like I used to. The only other new change is random episodes of blurred vision I am nearsighted and even wear corrective lenses. Out of nowhere with glasses on everything goes very blurry. The episodes last about 5 to ten minutes.my mom who works in the medical field has been checking my blood pressures and pulse ox levels. I run low Bp's alot. They have been consistently low. 95/70 or something like 100/69 my pulse is 70/80's. which considering I have afib and SVT it pretty good for being 4 months post 2nd cardiac ablation my pulse ox levels are consistently between 95-97%. I do have scoliosis latest measurement is 37 degrees rught convex curve which I was told can lead to breathing problems. Are any of these related to the chronic infections or the breathing problems? What could be causing these bizzare symptoms and what advice can you give me?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

Did you get eye check up recently?

Do you feel shortness of breath only on exertion?

How was your hemoglobin?

Do you feel any chest pain?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes my vision got worse I have an astigmatism in my left eye the glasses I have are for my new corrections. I can get it just sitting my couch watching tv. My CBC a few weeks go was good all was in normal range. Very mild it's an comfortable when the coughing hits I get a burning sensation that stays for days. Latest chest x ray was normal as well.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Do you feel the shortness of breath just sitting or watching TV?

Do you feel any irregularity of pulse?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I could be sitting just relaxing or doing something exerting like walking to class or my physical therapy excercises for my back. It can hit at me anytime I'm fine on minute the next coughing my head off, trying to breathe. Then it calms down once I either take a tessalon pearl or a puff my inhaler. People say I sound like a seal. Kind of embarrassing. Nope the cardiac ablations nipped that in the bud.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Caitlyn, for all the information,

The shortness of breath can come from a few possibilities.

Heart, lungs, low hemoglobin or anemia are common causes.

Your blood pressure, pulse are within normal limits.

As you do not feel any irregularity of pulse, heart issues are unlikely.

Your hemoglobin is normal

The oxygen saturation is also good.

There can be inflammation from bronchitis, bronchoconstriction.

That can cause episodes of cough, shortness of breath.

During extreme coughing blood supply to brain can be diminished.

This can cause dizzy feeling, blurring of vision.

Glasses can be checked again for correction.

Flovent can cause improvement but sometimes it can take a few weeks to have full effect.

Dose may need adjustment.

Additional bronchodilators can be needed.

I feel you need to take a review by your primary care doctor till you get evaluated by pulmonologist.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Regards
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience