Dr. Anil Kumar
Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience:  M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.

What are the risks of lithotripsy? I passed a kidney stone

What are the risks of lithotripsy? I passed a kidney stone of between 4 and 5cm, and the ER doc and my followup doc says there are 4 more stones in the kidney, between 2 and 4 cm. He wants me to wait until I pass another stone to have to procedure (he only does it when the stones are at least 5 cm), but I'm dreading having another kidney stone wake me up in the middle of the night. It hurt! But the procedure sounds like it doesn't always work that well, since there's no guarantee that they will be siufficiently broken up to pass easily. So, my questions are: is it good to wait until they are larger? Do the benefits outweigh the risks And what are the risks of the procedure? And are there any risks to my kidney if I wait, orif I never have the procedure? Thanks.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.

Do you have currently pain abdomen,back?

Pain and burning sensation during urination?

Fever?

History of urinary tract infection?

Are you taking any antibiotics?

Since how long have you been suffering from kidney stones?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, I have none of those! No pain, no fever, no urinary tract infection 9maybe one, long ago), not taking antibiotics. This was my first kidney stone, out of the blue, no warning or previous symptoms, felt bloated going to bed and a few hours later pain woke me up in the night, had no idea what it was and it was so bad I went to the ER at 3am and passed the stone around 8am. No family history of kidney stones, either. I'm 5'6", weigh about 157, so I'm overweight but not terribly. I don't drink enough water but I'm working on that.

Thanks for providing more information.

Stones that are between 4 mm (0.16 in.) and 2 cm (0.8 in.) in diameter are most likely to be treated with ESWL(Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy).

However the decision as to which technique will be used depends on the following factors like stone location,number of and sizes of stones,stone composition as well.

The success rate of lithotripsy in the first sitting is about 70-80%.

But in some cases, where the stones are very large, more sittings are required. the success rate after 2 or 3 sittings is close to 90%.

But since this procedure needs no surgery, and causes no complication, it is a very safe and effective procedure.

Risks of lithotripsy are very low however can cause a bruise around the kidney which is called a perirenal hematoma,infection,pain. The odds of damaging surrounding structures such as the pancreas are extremely low. Biggest risk is the need for a second procedure if there is left over stone.

For further details-

Link 1

As you have no associated pain,urinary tract infection now so you need to be seen by a Urologist for a clinical examination.

And if you pass a stone then you should keep it in a packet and send it for stone analysis.

You need to undergo KUB X-ray to locate the exact position of your stone in urinary tract.

Also it's good to undergo urinalysis to rule out microscopic hematuria(blood in urine).

You should drink plenty of fluids.

And continue Lemonade that has been shown in studies to have enough citrate content to prevent stone formation.

I hope I've provided
the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please
provide a positive rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help
you. Thank you.

Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience: M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.