Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Last week when I was walking up a set of stairs I got s sharp

Last week when I was walking up a set of stairs I got s sharp pain at the back of the bottom of my calf. It was then sore when I put pressure on my leg. After a day or two the pain went away. Then today I was walking down the hallway at work and I had a sharp shooting pain on my lower back calf. It is now sore when I put pressure on it. The muscle feels tight. What should Ido?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Has the calf pain / tightness restarted?
Do you have swelling, redness, tenderness in calf?
Are you back movements painful?
Are you on any medications / supplements / herbs?
Any significant past medical history?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have pain when I try and walk on it. There is no swelling, redness or tenderness when I touch it. My back movements are not painful. I am taking vitamin D, red yeast rice supplement and a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement - all which I just started taking. I have no significant past medical history. Last month I had a physical with cardiac testing which all came back fine
Hello Carol,

Food and Drug Administration has warned that red yeast rice products could contain a naturally occurring form of the prescription medication known as lovastatin (it may cause muscle pain, as it is statin). Statin are known to be associated with the off and on (or continuous) muscle pains. Please read this resource;

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/2007/ucm108962.htm

Your symptoms are not suggestive of blood clot in veins (DVT / deep vein thrombosis). Still if the symptoms persist, for the cautionary reasons, you may consider an examination by the doctor who may determine if you need an ultrasound of calf veins and a blood test for ruling it out.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been putting an ice pack on it. Should I stop this. Also it does not hurt when I rest it. Is that normal?

Hello Carol,

Ice pack can be applied. Yes this is normal for the pain to disappear on rest (and come on slightly strenuous activities like climbing stairs).

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think I should stop taking the red yeast rice? I had taken it several years ago to lower my cholesterol naturally and it worked but I stopped several years ago
Yes, you may stop the red yeast rice. Following are the other supplements which are known to help lower cholesterol;

1) Flaxseed

2) Garlic extract

3) Barley

4) Artichoke extract

5) Green tea extract

The cholesterol, triglycerides can also be controlled by the lifestyle approaches and dietary strategies. Following would be very helpful to lower them;

1) Dietary fiber; Soluble fiber is present in foods such as beans, oats, barley, and fruits and vegetables. This decreases absorption of cholesterol.

2) Phytosterols; Phytosterols are present in small amounts in nuts, seeds, and vegetable oils. Numerous studies have shown that phytosterols lower LDL-Cholesterols. There are many products on the market that contain phytosterols for total- and LDL-C lowering. These products are orange juice, yogurt, margarine spreads, salad dressings, breads, cereals, milk, and granola bars. Phytosterols also are available in soft-gel pills.

3) Soy protein is the major component of soybeans and decreases triglycerides and cholesterol.

4) if one is over weight, just weight loss also reduces the cholesterol and triglyceride levels.

5) Physical activity; regular aerobic exercise is effective in reducing blood lipids and proven by many studies.

6) Alcohol; if one takes, limit it to 20-30 ml per day.

Following dietary pattern may be helpful;

1) Red meat in low frequency and amounts

2) Minimally processed seasonally fresh foods

3) Less than five eggs per week

4) An abundance of plant foods; fruits, vegetables, potatoes, breads, grains, beans, nuts, and seeds

5) Olive oil as the principal source of dietary fat

6) Fresh fruits as the typical daily dessert

7) Wine in low to moderate amounts; one glass per day for women.

So life style care measures, diet and supplements would be able to lower your cholesterol.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine