Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

My fiancé just had thyroid cancer surgury the doctor had told

Customer Question

My fiancé just had thyroid cancer surgury the doctor had told us that it had spread to the lymph nodes on one side then while he was in the he found more that looked suspicious down low he pulled them out when asked about overall long term prognosis he said excellent .her age is 32 and she has been in great health I was wondering how likely is it that this disease has traveled further then thought and is it common to spread he said it was.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--sorry for the delay. Since the cancer is in the lymph nodes, this is known as stage III and she'll likely need radiation therapy but I agree that her prognosis is still very good. She'll have to be followed closely for some time to look for any recurrence of the cancer but at this point I think she will still be cancer free after three years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you think it will take that long to fight off the cancer or would that be the survival plan I'm very nervous how come they did not scan further down in the first place and I was told that rai treatment kills the rest anyhow how true are these things
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Not a matter of fighting off the cancer--hopefully the surgery and the radiation therapy will kill all the cancer cells. There's no need for further scanning in a case of thyroid cancer--it doesn't metastasize to anywhere besides the neck. As I said before, I agree that her prognosis for being cancer free is excellent