Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I have a fifteen year old son who was vomiting about and hour

Customer Question

I have a fifteen year old son who was vomiting about and hour after he got done playing ice hockey. He had the dry heaves for 3 hours straight so I took him to the walk in clinic. After an hour wait the vomiting had subsided and they drew his blood. His WBC was 18 and they tested liver and gall bladder through the blood and his liver enzymes were a bit elevated. They said that he probably had a bacteria or viral infection or possibly food poisoning. I just wanted to check to see if 18 is abnormally high when vomiting and if liver enzymes rise with vomiting. He had an episode with vomiting about four months prior to this and was wondering if it could be related to his appendix.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 3 years ago.

Hello Michael ,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Just to confirm; Was WBC count 18 thousand?
Which liver enzymes were raised?
Was there any abdominal pain, diarrhea, bloating, tenderness, gas?
Any significant past medical history?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, WBC was 18. Not sure which liver enzymes were elevated, but they weren't concerned. Just vomiting and a bit of abdominal pain.

Hello Michael,

His symptoms and blood work do suggest an infection. Most likely this is viral which is self remitting (resolving spontaneously). Anti vomiting medication and predominately liquid diet initially is recommended. Sips of fluids like; Vegetable broths / vegetable soups, coconut water also would help. If the symptoms persist or recur, an abdominal ultrasound would be recommended.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.