Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Hi, I have had recent tenderness in my abdomen. I dont

I have had recent tenderness in my abdomen. I don't know how long it's been there, since I don't go poking around my abs too often. I do know that it is positive for Carnett's sign, meaning that it increases when I tense my ab muscles. So I know it's an issue with my abdominal wall. I don't feel any pain unless I push on it with my finger, and there seems to be a particularly sore spot to the right of my belly button. Should I do something about this?

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

mysticdoc :

Since you do not have any other symptoms except for the pain on poking, this is likely muscle related pain.

Customer:

Thanks

mysticdoc :

Acute appendicitis is another possibility, but other symptoms like nausea, vomiting, change in bowel habits also should be seen.

mysticdoc :

Hence, although not concerning, you can still see your doctor for a clinical evaluation.

Customer:

It's been going on for a few days, so if it was appendicitis I think it would have progress by now. And while I've had a bit of a diarrhea the past few days, and was a little bit nauseous yesterday, I feel completely fine now (besides from the abdominal tenderness). Is there anything I should do to get rid of the pain?

mysticdoc :

Correct --does not sound like appendicitis.

mysticdoc :

For pain, you can try tylenol.

mysticdoc :

also warm compress and avoiding poking will help.

Customer:

Okay, thanks