DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Training in all aspects of health care, complementary and alternative medicine, prevention, health.
24257177

My wife is looking for a thyroid specialist in the Columbia

Customer Question

My wife is looking for a thyroid specialist in the Columbia SC area who believes your T3 is a critical component of a healthy thyroid in addition looks at symptoms not just the typcical range of the TSH. She saw one today and he too traditional in his thyroid diagnosis.
Category: Health
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JA
You are talking about a doctor trained in function medicine.
Conventional doctors are not going to go along with that in general, maybe a rare endocrinologist.

Functional medicine doctors all have this training.

You can find one here
www.functionalmedicine.org

Go to the find a practitioner link , upper right, use your zip code in the finder.
OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You have been helpful. Columbia has a large medical college through USC. Would you think someone there would have a more functional approach? How would I find this.

I went to the website above and I will need to travel 85 miles to Charolotte and 50 miles to Hartsville. No one came up from Columbia. I am o.k. with this, but want to exhaust all options.

Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
If you use the list I gave you, all doctors that have completed the training should be listed.

You can call them and ask if there are any other names at the center you mention.

It is unlikely that a conventional doctor, even at a major center, is going to take the approach you state.

However, they might have a very up to date endocrinologist who could be helpful.

I would find an internist MD or DO or family practice MD or DO, with the functional medicine training.

DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience: Training in all aspects of health care, complementary and alternative medicine, prevention, health.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the help. After 2 hours of calling around I have gotten no where. This is the most frustrating process. I even went to Stop the Thyroid Madness, which did generate more contacts, but I can barely get by the receptionist to talk with a nurse about a philosophy before I go and waste my money like I did yesterday.

I need an expert to give me a list of active doctors, who will help (on your site there were none listed in Columbia, only 70-80 miles away). There is one doctor I found through blogs, that appears to have had similar cases.....what is sad is this doctor cannot be seen until December, which tells me she is good. Also, I am working with my doctor in Milwaukee, just trying to find a way to transition as I am 30 days until my Armour is gone. Unbelievable....it shouldn't be this difficult to get help from either end.

If you have colleagues practicing in Columbia, who can recommend a solid doctor practicing functional medicine, I am all ears.

Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
The institute of functional medicine is who you should call next.
They will have a more update list.
You can also look at the practitioner list here
www.holisticmedicine.com