Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties

I have a painful protruding hemorrhoid. what do i do?

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

What king of OTC cream you have used?

Is there any active bleeding from this?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have used the Preparation H Maximum strength Pain relief cream. I am not sure if there has been any bleeding as I am on my period at the moment.

Thank you very muhc for the useful information Sunita.

In addition to Prep H, you should apply lignocaine gel to the affected area which will provide an immediate soothing effect and relieve the pain.

You can also take Tylenol orally for control of pain, and if thats not enough, can use Motrin or Aleve (if there is no active bleeding) along with Tylenol for a better pain control.

Application of ice packs to the affected area will also reduce any ongoing bleed and will greatly reduce the pain.

These are the maximum home measures which can help you at the moment, but if despite these the pain persist, does not improve or get worse, go to ER for urgent evaluation as this may require stronger prescription strength pain medications, and a round of antibiotics (if there is concurrent infection) as well.

Keep yourself adequately hydrated.

Use more fibres (like metamucil) to pass stool softly.

And have this treated soon by a surgeon.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.