Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties
28277873

hello doctor. I had unprotected sex 32 days ago. I just tested

Customer Question

hello doctor. I had unprotected sex 32 days ago. I just tested for hiv using home test kit HIV1 &2. I get clear negative for test , and then i realize that after 2 hours there is a light second line came out. which means positive. what is the reason of that? Because i read that result will show up within 10 minutes. ANd is there posibility that after few weeks i will be clear positive? Is that light line is alarm for future test?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

Well, after an unprotected intercourse, the schedule for screening against HIV is at 6 weeks, 3 months and then at 6 months.

The results of these kits have to be interpreted exactly at the time frame given. As the time elapses, you may get another line, or may not, but this does not necessarily means that you have HIV.

Therefore, yes your test has to be repeated but at 6 weeks, then at 3 months, and finally at 6 months (and if all the tests are negative then this surely means that you are free from HIV).

I hope this clarifies.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok doctor. My question is - i tested with home rapid test kit 3 times today, It showed negative. After 3 hours 2 tests showed 1 more line which is positive. Is that gives me signal that 5 weeks to early to check, and indicates that after 2 week maybe it will be clear positive?

Actually 5 weeks is a little early to check this.

But since one test showed negative and 2 showed weak positive, i would wait at this point and repeat the test minimum at 6 weeks (its the minimum time required by the body to produce antibodies against hiv and hence for the test to come out to be positive).

If at 6 weeks the test is negative, then at 3 months and if it still remains negative then it should be done at 6 months.

A definite positive test at any point should be evaluated further by your doctor as he will have to order other confirmatory tests to make sure that this positive result is not due to an error with the kit (which occurs commonly).

I hope this clarifies.

Kindest Regards.