Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties

i have had a consistently high sed rate in the low 30s (so

i have had a consistently high sed rate in the low 30's (so not terribly high), sharp stabbing headaches, frequent diarhea, & constant fatigue for about 6-8 months now. i am also having allergic reactions (hives in mouth and body, itchy head to toe and bronchial spasms) 20 mins-2 hours after I eat. i have kept a food diary & NOTHING is consistent. I have been to an allergist and only tested pos to seasonal allergens (not milk, fish, nuts, fruits, etc.). tsh & free t4 are normal. plz help me
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Did you have a stool examination done?

Colonoscopy?

I can see that you have been extensively worked up for possible allergies, but there are other causes as well which need to be investigated (for the diarrhoea).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no stool or colonoscopy

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very muhc for the useful information Nicole.

You are suffering from chronic diarrhea and there are a number of reasons for this including;

1. Infections such as;

• Amoebiasis
  • Giardiasis
  • Other causes of infective colitis
  • Intestinal tuberculosis

2. Diverticulitis

3. Bacterial Overgrowth

4. Other Malabsorption syndromes

5. Inflammatory bowel disease

6. Cancer (colon cancer or lymphoma)

I think sufficient duration has passed and its time now to have this evaluated in detail by a Gastroenterologist for a comprehensive clinical examination aided by tests such as;

1. Stool examination (3 sets) to look for ova and cysts pf parasites. Also specialized staining can be ordered for parasites (parasitic infections can give you allergic reactions as well like rash/hives you get) and to look for malabsorption.

2. Blood CBC/ESR, CRP should be repeated along with other inflammatory markers

3. Electrolytes, albumin, calcium levels

4. Colonoscopy

The above mentioned tests will be helpful to ascertain the exact underlying cause for your symptoms which will direct a specific and targeted management plan.

I would have been worried too if i were at your place but let me reassure you that most of the causes for her symptoms are treatable and carry a good prognosis, you just need to proceed further for evaluation.

A gastroenterologist is the best person to help you in this situation.

Until then, following measures will be helpful;

Keep yourself well hydrated (plenty of water/juices)

Gatorade

Avoid large fatty and spicy meals

Banana

Rice

Apple sauce

Toast ---- all will help.

Do ask your doctor to screen you for multiple deficiencies (which you might have developed due to chronic diarrhea and would be contributing to your symptoms) such as B-12, folate, calcium, iron etc. If found to be low, appropriate replacement will provide a symptomatic relief.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

would any of the things you mentioned cause the allergic reactions?

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Yes.

Parasitic infections.

Malabsorption syndromes can be associated with allergic reactions (such as gluten sensitive enteropathy).

And lymphoma can also give rash/allergic reactions.

Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties