Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I am getting the Shingles Vaccination today. My question

I am getting the Shingles Vaccination today.

My question is: I am scheduled to take a friend to the doctor tomorrow for a post-op check-up. She had a double mastectomy on Wednesday, June 27. Will it be safe for her to be with me so soon after I have had this vaccine?

Thank you.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-

What is your age?
Have you been diagnosed with any medical condition?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am 53. I have no health issues except General Anxiety (I take 20 mg Paxil daily)

Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I can understand your concern.

Well, shingles vaccine protects against herpes zoster, more commonly referred to as shingles.
Anyone 50 years of age and older can get the vaccine. Only 1 dose is needed for protection.

The shingles vaccine is very safe. As such there is no evidence that it can cause shingles.

Yes, you can safely go with a friend, who has double mastectomy on Wednesday. This would not cause any problem. You can safely travel and take her with you.

Your friend will not get any infection or she would not be at risk for getting any serious reaction. No need to get panic.

Reference- http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/shingles/shingles-vaccine

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Hello.
How are you doing? Let me know if you have any more follow up questions.
Thank you and take care.
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I appreciated your answer because I certainly did not want to put my friend in any health danger. However, the pharmacy could not administer the vaccine because both parts had not arrived at the same time. So I took my friend to her appt with absolutely no issues! Thank you.

Dear Customer,
I can understand your concern.
Hopefully, you would soon get vaccination.