Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties
28277873

I had a needle biopsy of a cervical lymph node in my neck a

I had a needle biopsy of a cervical lymph node in my neck a month ago, which came back benign. The lymph node hasn't reduced in size at all. Is it possible that the needle biopsy injured the node?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the excellent question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

Honestly, even the thinnest biopsy needle injures the organ (which is biopsied) and thats true for the lymph node as well.

But this is a minimal injury and any inflammation secondary to biopsy heals up in few days not more than a week.

Glad to hear that the biopsy results turned out to be benign. These kind of benign/non-specific inflammatory changes in lymph nodes may even persist for months. The size actually doesn't matter, its the underlying pathology that counts.

By making it sure that the enlargement was benign has put your mind at ease (and your doctor's also).

Dont worry about it, just watchfully monitor this for any regression in size.

Hopefully it will go back to normal gradually.

Finding an enlarged lymph node in the neck is not uncommon finding, as this is one of the areas of the body most exposed to the environment (through nose/mouth) and hence a frequent site of entry of infectious agents.

These lymph nodes continue to trap and kill the organisms with out giving you any symptoms (in most of the cases---these infections are called sub-clinical) and during this process the lymph nodes increase in size and then go back to normal.

The exact time frame can not be given when it will return back to normal size but surely it will one day. And in case if it doesn't, there is no worry---we have already ruled out any serious pathology that might have caused this.

I hope this clarifies and answers your question.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties