Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I quit taking androgel after about 3 months because my feet

I quit taking androgel after about 3 months because my feet and ankles started swelling. I have been off of it for about a week, but still have swelling after being on my feet for an hour or so. How long will this continue? I also have 50-55 % kidney function.

Hello Tom,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

AndroGel usually eliminates from the body in 2 days. A lowered kidney function test of 55% may increase the elimination time from 4-7 days. Since the swelling started after using AndroGel; this is the most likely cause of it and in next three days it is likely to go off.

Swelling of feet and ankle on both the sides can also be associated because of the following reasons, as you may know;

1) Venous valvular incompetence

2) Obstruction of the lymphatic outflow

3) Dependent edema which can occur because of the prolonged standing or sitting.

4) Congestive heart failure

5) Kidney diseases

6) Protein deficiency

7) Hypothyroidism

8) Anemia

9) Medications; other medicine apart from AndroGel can be responsible.

Following may help you in resolving the swelling:

1) Avoid prolonged standing or walking for long distances in a single stretch.

2) Whenever you sit; keep your legs elevated on a chair or a sofa or stool. Do not hang the legs, otherwise gravity will increase the swelling.

3) Exercises / physical therapy

a) Lie down straight and raise your leg and feet for 10-20 seconds. Repeat this for ten times (twice a day whole set).

b) When you sit; pull the feet towards you for 10-20 seconds. Repeat it for ten times twice a day.

4) Raise leg end of your bed by 6 inches.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did using androgel further contribute to my kidney function deficit? If by chance the swelling problem isn't over in the next few days, what further steps should I take?

Hello Tom,

The AndroGel is contraindicated in the severe kidney disease and in your case is not likely to increase the deficit. If the swelling does not go away in next few days, a blood work for the kidney and liver function tests with a comprehensive metabolic panel would be recommended.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun