Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician

I discovered bright red blood on toilet paper today. Not a

I discovered bright red blood on toilet paper today. Not a lot, but this is the second time this has happened in the past 6 months. No other symptoms, normal bowel movements. I am a 31 year-old male. What could be causing this? Should I get a colonoscopy?
Welcome to and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-

Do you have pain in passing stool?
Any change in bowel movements?
Have you noticed any lump or swelling near anus?
Do you have diarrhea?
Are you suffering from any medical condition or on any medication ?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No pain in passing stool. Bowel movements normal. No sign of lump or swelling near anus. No diarrhea. I take medication for depression but that's all.

Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I understand your problem.

If the blood was red and bright then the bleeding is likely to be occurring toward the end of the colon or in the rectum.
Most common causes are- hemorrhoids, anal fissure,diverticular bleeding,intestinal infection (such as bacterial enterocolitis),inflammatory bowel disease.

Hemorrhoids are dilated blood vessels and depending on their location may feel like a bump around the anus. They are often itchy, painful, and if broken can produce bright red blood with bowel movements or on the tissue after wiping. It can be external or internal in nature. Internal Hemorrhoids may not be observed and one may not notice any swelling near anus.

To make a diagnose you have to undergo these tests-
-Stool test,
-Par rectum examination,
-Complete blood count.
Also If required colonoscopy may be considered.

I would recommend that you visit your primary doctor for evaluation and get it managed.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

How are you doing? Let me know if you have any more follow up questions.
Thank you and take care.
Dr. Robert