I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.
Gout is one of the possibilities of the diagnosis. This is due to increased serum (blood) uric acid. Colchicine is the medication taken for the acute attack of gout. A family history is many times associated. If you had any unaccustomed activity in last 3-5 days, muscle strain or ligament strain are the other reasons for these symptoms. The other possibilities of the diagnosis are;
1) Achilles tendinitis; heel tendon inflammation
2) Retrocalcaneal bursitis; bursa are fluid filled sac (pocket like structures) for smooth movement of the tendon, which can get inflamed and termed bursitis. The heel bone is called calcaneum and the bursa below it is inflamed thus the term retrocalcaneal.
3) Plantar fasciitis; heel has got a soft tissue underneath called as plantar fascia, inflammation of which is called plantar fasciitis.
4) Calcaneal periostitis; heel bone inflammation
5) Calcaneal spurs; wear and tear arthritis forms small bone growth.
An MRI and x-ray can confirm the diagnosis with the blood work.
The treatment is almost same for all these conditions with the minor variations. Following may help you;
1) Moist heat or ice compresses; whatever suits you
2) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like Ibuprofen
3) Local analgesic ointment /spray
4) Physical therapy
5) Deep electrotherapy like iontophoresis, phonophoresis, short wave diathermy, electrical stimulation etc.
6) Consideration of steroid shot
7) Shock wave therapy
8) Custom-fabricated inserts in shoe-wear
Please feel free for your follow up questions.
I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.
Thanks for using Just Answer.
We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."
Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.