Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

Ulcerative colitis, Crohns, C-Diff

My father has been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis and crohns following a colon resection where he received 34 days of cipro. He has been admitted to the hospital 4 times in the last 3 months with dehydration, high fever >102, diarrhea. He tested negative for literally everything, c diff included. He was given his first remicade dose two weeks ago, better for two days, then back in the hospital for same symptoms. Now has a positive c diff culture. Oral vanco was begun two days ago, his doctor is discussing giving the second loading dose of remicade with an active c-diff infection. Is this recommended? No further fever, blood in stool, constant diarrhea. On azacol, steroids, and oral vanco currently.

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray MD : i think that his conditions truly define a difficult judgement call!!!!
Anthony Bray MD : The C. Diff is of course a very difficult and dangerous infection. He has also shown a propensity to have GI infections . The ulcerative colitis however is an inflammatory disease which needs to be controlled. The needs to control infection directly oppose the needs to control the inflammatory disease. I think ideally if your can get an infectious disease specialist and rheumatologist to sign off on a treatment plan then that would be your theoretical ideal--- good luck on that one! However I think that realistically the treatment plan is going to carry inherent risk one way or another....
Anthony Bray MD : The treatment plan in his situation must walk a tight rope in all honesty--- there will be risk one direction or another...
Anthony Bray MD : discuss his treatment plan thoroughly with his treating doctors.... Ask for an infectious disease consult to be considered if you feel that his Crohn's treatment is too risky....
Anthony Bray MD : that would be the best possible review of his situation and treatment plan for him I would feel...
Anthony Bray MD : i hope this is helpful for you !
Anthony Bray MD : Let me know if you have further questions! I will be happy to get back with you!
Anthony Bray MD : if my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated! Thank you and best regards!
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD