Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience
8227957

My mother is 63 years old. She is in severe pain with impacted

My mother is 63 years old. She is in severe pain with impacted stool. She is not regular with bowel movements anyway, but she hasn't been in a week. This morning, she is in severe pain and can feel that it is blocked. She has tried a glycerin suppository and 2 warm soap water enemas.

A little comes out, but mainly the water is coming back out and what is best described as diarrhea.

She has already caused a fissure.

At what point should I take her to see a doctor? Is there something else that can be tried at home?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

I would suggest to take her to doctor without further delay.

She has tried glycerin suppository, enema.

She needs an examination now.

An obstruction in the intestine needs to be ruled out.

She can try dulcolax suppository but if enema did not help, suppository may not be helpful.

Enema under care of doctor can help.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Does the little bit of diarrhea serve as indication that it is breaking up? Or should it have already moved since its been approx. 6 hours of trying and pain?

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
How many times did she have diarrhea?

How much diarrheal stool was coming?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not much of anything comes out. She said that a little comes out as diarrhea everytime she tries. She manual pulled some out. But it is extremely hard and immovable. She has tried breaking it. The only pain she is having is strictly at the anal opening because nothing will come out and its there at the opening?

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
After enema a part of the liquid stool can come out by the side of the impacted stool.

It is likely that the impaction is still present.

The impacted stool may need to be broken manually by gloved fingers.

Initially warm mineral oil enema can be given to lubricate the stool.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So would we call her gastroenterologist that performs her colonoscopies? Do you go the emergency room? Its embarrassing enough for her.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
You can take her to an urgent care or ER.

Gatroenterologist may not be required at this point.
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience