Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Dietician told me when i start eating normal i will gain weight

Customer Question

Dietician told me when i start eating normal i will gain weight and that right now my metabolism is basically 0
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Tell me more
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She said um setting myself up to weigh more than i ever have. That im going to end up like Oprah.

She said i need to eat 3 meals 2 snacks a day. Only weigh myself once a day
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Not sure what that meant--how when you usually don't eat more than a bit over 500 calories a day will you end up like Oprah? And did she go into specific foods and all that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She just said i need more protein
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
But how exactly would you be setting yourself up to be like Oprah?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Like how oprah gor skinny then ballooned up in her weight. She said thats what im setting myself up for
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, it's true that if someone goes on a weight losing diet, loses weight, and then eats way out of control that they will gain a lot of weight but that's only if they don't stay on a maintenance diet. Anyway, did you get anything specific out of the meeting?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No nothing
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--so what's the next step in all of this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They are scheduling an appt for me to see a psychologist who specializes in Eating Disorders. On the 10th they are doing labs to check for h pylori and to check a gastrin level Later that day i see the dr again
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--at least let's not get into whether or not you need to see the psychologist.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know i need to
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Good
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you really think i have an eating disorder? Mayo says im bulimic
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes you definitely tend towards one and I agree with the bulimia. Just so you'll know, anyone who purges, even if it isn't all the time, by definition is bulimic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But bumimic people binge
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Here we go arguing again--let's just stop with purging is abnormal--normal people without some sort of problem concerning their thoughts on their weight and food don't do it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you think my gastrin level will be normal
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I don't know but if it's elevated it would explain what's been going on. I mentioned checking it a while ago
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you think h pylori will be megative
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Fifty fifty chance
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You would think since my biopsies were negative the blood test would be
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
We'll just have to see
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Anything you wanna know
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Not unless there's something new for you to tell me
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What do you think mayos mext step will be
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well first they need to get all the tests back, but, seriously, the simplest way to find that out is just to talk to them and ask them
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So you have no thoughts on what else theyll do
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Not really.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Last gi question Whatll make you stop thinking crohns?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I the Mayo does everything it needs to and decides it definitely isn't Crohn's, then I'll give up the ghost
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do yoy think i could stop taking zofran 4 times a day
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Why are you taking it that often?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Because thats how my gi dr prescribed it because im nausous all the time.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
And you've been taking it like that for how long? And even with that you're still nauseated?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ive been on the 8mg 4 times a day since december. Still nausous but not as bad
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Does the Mayo know about that? All I can tell you is he prescribed it wrongly and it could be that at least some of your problems are because you've been taking it for that long in that way.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mayo dr knows. What do you mean he prescribed it wrongly
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
It's basically for chemo patients and only for when they're having their therapy and only for a few days around that time. And as a once a day dose, not multiple times a day. It could be the cause of your dizziness and your heart rhythm problems. It's just an inappropriate use of the drug
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was on 4 mg 4x a day before he increased it. No one else told me its bad
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, now you know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can i try to wean off of it?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I'd take you off it right now--you don't need to wean off it. I say it that way because I can't really tell you what to do
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Then what do you recommend for nausea? I have phenergan suppositories but i onlybuse them wnen its really bad
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Actually those would be better and Zofran is actually more for severe nausea, not the other way around
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think your wrong. Zofran was the first thing my gi dr rxd me.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Google Zofran then and see if I'm wrong. Just because your doctor does something doesn't make him correct
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Drs rx it for morning sickness. So it cant be a bad med. you dont know if my nausea is bad or not
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Why are you arguing and getting angry here? You asked me my thoughts about Zofran and I gave them to you. I even asked one of my good friend colleagues on this site about it and he had one word--"weird"--for prescribing Zofran that way for your condition.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Really? You asked someone else? Im not angry. Im frustrated that ive been taking zofran for a year
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well you definitely were getting snippy with me. I'd stop your Zofran but I'm not your doctor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Im just frustrated.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I know, but don't take it out on me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Im sorry. How about compazine
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
As good as phenergan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will call my gi dr tomorrow. Why didnt mayo say anything
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Not sure--maybe they just didn't consider it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Im scared to stop it
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Talk to your doctor about it then.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do i talk to my gi dr or mayo
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Either is fine but make sure the Mayo knows about it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You should be proud of me. I actually ate real food:)
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Great--do you plan to follow the dietician's suggestions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will try
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Good. I do think that it's essential to help with your GI problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Really? How come
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
The gut was made for digesting food and for doing in on a regular basis--lots of enzymes and prostaglandins involved that need to be constantly produced, secreted, and used
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So did i cause the ulcers? And the pain?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No, but your eating habits or lack of them didn't help. But the past is the past so let's not look for self-blame. Tomorrow is a brand new day
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why does food hurt my stomach
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
You've got gastritis and an ulcer but that doesn't mean you shouldn't eat like the dietician suggested--even if it hurts
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What can i do for it? I ran out of vicodin
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
You keep asking me that. Tramadol if necessary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dont have any
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
We're getting nowhere here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I wannA stop as many meds as i can. Before last summer i was on none
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK but where are we going here?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Idk. Do you thnk i need all my meds
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
What are you taking right now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sertraline, zofran, restoril, atenolol, cholestryramine, vitamin d, fiber, miralax, lorazepam
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, the one's I wouldn't have you on are the sertraline, zofran, restoril, lorazepam, and miralax
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why them particalar ones
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Because you don't need any of them in my opinion. The others you do
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you thunk ill ever be able to stop the atenolol
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Truth to tell--it could be the Zofran that's causing the cardiac problem for which the atenolol was prescribed
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tachycardia started last feb. zofran started in june
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Just a thought--you still tend to debate with me. I think the atenolol is probably not specifically indicated here but without a cardiology eval I can't say for sure
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I saw a cardiologist. He said he doesnt know why. He says it probably just anxiety
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. Enough for now on the meds thing. Anything else before we close the page?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1) when will my ulcer heal 2)how do i get rid of gastritis and duodenitis 3)who on here did you ask about the zofran 4)do red heads actually feel more pain
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
1and 2) Depends on whether the gastrin level is elevated, you need to eat regularly, and it will take time

3) Dr Thomas, but if you're bothered by that, I just asked him a general question and didn't reference you at all

4) Not that I know of but actual pain and it's perception (which may not be the same thing) does vary from person to person
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Im not bothered tgat you asked someone else i was just curious thats all. Night
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Night
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just bruised the inside of my foot. It swelled right away
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
And how exactly did you do that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Long story short i was bored. Decided to stand on my head on my bed. Lost my balance hit tge ledge abf table with the side of my foot pn tge way down
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I suppose you want to know what to do about it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ice?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Ice and elevation for tonight but of course if it's very painful in the morning you have to have it looked at--could be just a contusion but also could have a fracture
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Im trying to avoid going to the dr since my therapist says im a high utilizer of the medical system
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
As you'd say--whatever. If you can walk on it tomorrow without much pain, it should be fine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is pressure speech and dysthemic
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Entirely new question there--we need to close this page with a rating and we can pick up with that on a new page.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice