Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

can raised prostate specific antigen levels be a symptom on

Customer Question

can raised prostate specific antigen levels be a symptom on uninary tract infection?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

Yes, the PSA may rise during UTI and so a repeat PSA would be necessary after the infection has been cured. This rise of PSA is erroneous / co incidental and may be due to enlarged prostate gland also. If your PSA is more than normal and you have UTI, just repeat the PSA test again after the infection has been cured. The infection would be cured if there is no growth of organisms in a urine culture and the routine urine test is normal.

If you have any further question, I would be happy to help you.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to rate my service positive once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Hello Peter,

I see that you went offline.

How can I help you further?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i would also like to know is

1. do the symptoms of uti wax and wane, untill diagnosed and

2. if its bph do the tablets get rid of the symptoms of rushing and pain and nocturia ?

Hello Peter,

Thanks for getting back to me.

1. The symptoms of UTI like burning urine, increased urinary frequency and sometimes fever usually comes as acute symptoms and does not wax and wane. If you have such symptoms, you should get a routine urine and culture done to determine the causative organism.

2. If you are having BPH, the symptoms can be controlled with medicines. You would have to get a DRE test to know the exact grade of BPH . An ultrasound of the prostate gland would be necessary too to look for any pressure effects on the urinary bladder.

For UTI, you can drink cranberry juice to reduce the urinary burning.
Antibiotcs like cipro would be needed to get rid of the infection of UTI.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the pain when urinating seems to come from the meatis and extending up the uthera urine was dark brown orignially now normal. i had hypothermia in march, i wonder if that caused the abnormal level of prostatic antigerns. i have ibs as well

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have ibs as well

Thanks for your reply, Peter.

The urine color is definitely abnormal. The brown color could be due to presence of abnormal blood products or protein in urine, you need to get a thorough urinalysis asap.

Hypothermia is not directly related to either UTI or raised PSA.

The pain in your meatus and upstream could be due toinflammation of the prostate gland (this can also cause raised PSA), urinary stricture, or even the resnce of abnormal blood or protein in urine.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

im just eliminating the possibilities, asi had hypothermia 3 weeks before

but why are the symptoms waxing and waning? when i know the result in about 4 weeks i'll contact you again

Ok. The waxing and waning is difficult but sometimes chronic prostate and urinary tract infection can also cause the symptoms to pass on and come again.

It is better that you get the tests that I have recommended done as UTI is curable with appropriate treatment.

Hello peter, how are you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have no pain now going every 3-5 hours , about 5-7 times a day small streams though this is probably because i dont drink so much i have another psa test mext year. as the consultant asked me if i wanted to wait and see what happens, do uti's clear up on their own ?
No its not possible for UTI to clear up on its own.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

in wonder if when i hd hypothermia i had a cold as well , i was off food for 3 days i took to drinking cans of coke and orange /lemon , and could the number of times i went to toilet cause the pain as i was going about 18 times then, im down to 6-8 now

It's been more than a month and you have been asking me too many different questions .

I have not been given a positive rating though.
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the emergency room.
Thanks for the positive rating .

Regarding your answer, increased frequency of passing urine will not cause pain but if there is any obstruction like a meatal stenosis or urethral canal narrowing, this may cause pain. This can occur in the absence of UTI.
To confirm such an obstruction, you should get a test known as "uroflowmetry" done and depending on the results of the test, any obstruction could be confirmed and treated accordingly.