Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

on going on and off pain past 3weeks in my left foot.initailly

Customer Question

on going on and off pain past 3weeks in my left foot.initailly thought some object in my heel since that area is very tender. 2 days ago the needle sharp/burning pain continues to radiate in my pinky toe/alternating from my big toe! they are both purplish/black,and the pain is disabling at night..what happened? nothing in it
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

Check your blood sugar asap, if not done immediately.

If you are diabetic or a smoker, the purplish black color indicates that you could be having poor blood supply to those toes and need immediate intervention.
Check on with your doctor now, you would need strong pain killers like ultram for the pain.

The discoloration of the toes may indicate " gangrene" , a condition where the blood supply to the toes is significantly cut off and needs immediate treatment in the hospital.

If you have any further question, I would be happy to help you.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to rate my service positive once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!
Hi Tamara,
Do you need any more help?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

why is the needles/stinging and burning at night? is bareable in daytime? no smoker,nor diabetic

This is due to lack of movement during the night time which further reduces the blood flow to these already "compromised circulation".

During the day, the movements of the foot helps to ensure blood flow and so the pain and the other sensations are slightly less.

Try to get a doppler ultrasound of the foot and legs to look for the compromised vessels to identify the exact area. You may need to consult a vascular surgeon for treatment later. But before that, you will need to see an MD internal medicine to salvage the "discolored toes" with medicines. If there is a blood clot "blocking the circulation", it can be dissolved with medicines.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Hello Tamara,

How have you been doing?

I have answered your question but if you need any more help, I would be glad to help you.
Thanks,
Dr. Bora.