Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician

I had two lower teeth extracted last Thursday which had an

I had two lower teeth extracted last Thursday which had an infection. The extraction went ok, but I ended up going to the ER the next day with a temp of 103.8. They couldn't figure out what caused it, gave me some IV antibiotics and my fever broke Saturday morning. The dentist gave me Penicillin VK and the ER gave me Bactrim.

Since the extraction, though, I have been getting pretty bad headaches, and I rarely get headaches. They go from behind my left ear to behind my eye...pretty much the whole left side of my head. They get nearly to the point that I get nausea. Usually, though, taking some Tylenol clears them up for a bit, but the next morning it's the same thing all over again. Is this something I should be concerned with? My temps have been running lower than normal as well, between 96.5 and 97.6.
Welcome to and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .

Although your extraction was normal,but it seems that there gets some infection while extraction of tooth.This led to fever.As your dentist & ER prescribed antibiotics lile Penicillin VK and Bactrim,the infection gets cleared & the fever was broken.

Headache is a less common side effect after tooth extraction.Sometimes something very little like a grain of rice can get caught in the gum and aggravate a nerve which in turn causes headache.

Another possibility can be muscle spasms which can be due to extraction of tooth & then lead to headache.Also there can be a possibility of migraine headache.

You need to get back to your doctor & see what exactly is causing this headache & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Till then continue to take Tylenol to get pain relief.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert