Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Ive been having diarrhea and feeling bloated for the past

I've been having diarrhea and feeling bloated for the past week or so. I notice when I tighten my ab muscles and press down, they are tender. In particular, there's one spot to the left of my belly button that gets especially sore. I haven't worked out in over a month, so I'm not sure why they would be sore. And since I haven't really been poking on down there, I'm not sure how long this has been going on. Should I be concerned?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray MD : it sounds that you probably have gastroenteritis... This is an infection of the GI tract...
Anthony Bray MD : this would explain the diarrhea and bloating and sense if tenderness if part of your abdomen...
Customer:

It feels like the ab muscle itself is tender. Can gastroenteritis cause this?

Anthony Bray MD : These cases if gastroenteritis are more often viral caused and just run their course over a few days.... You may benefit to try Pepto Bismol --- one dose after each loose stool-- max 7 doses / day and max of five days...
Anthony Bray MD : well it would help to do physical exam... You may have muscle soreness vs organs below the muscle surface being the source of tenderness ....
Anthony Bray MD : You can have bacterial infections that cause GI infections as well....
Anthony Bray MD : I would advise caution if you have have abdominal pain so bad that it interferes with sleep... If you have fever over 101... If you have bloody diarrhea....
Anthony Bray MD : i would advise medical evaluation with any if those above symptoms...
Anthony Bray MD : if you should have severe watery diarrhea plus nausea and vomiting then dehydration would become a concern....
Anthony Bray MD : The abdominal muscle tenderness by itself I would not feel is of significant concern... I would expect this to improve within a couple if days....
Anthony Bray MD : if it worsens or you have other concerning symptoms such as I described then I would advise you to seek medical attention....
Anthony Bray MD : I think that with current symptoms you should be fine to try the Pepto and observe your symptoms over the next 24 hours and see how things go...
Anthony Bray MD : the majority of gastroenteritis cases would tend to begin to show improvement such as less frequent diarrhea...
Anthony Bray MD : Also I would advise a bland diet... Avoid meats and acidic foods ... Mainly carbs, soups and plenty if Gatorade would be helpful....
Anthony Bray MD : I hope that this information is helpful for you. Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!
Anthony Bray MD : if my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be much appreciated! Thank you and best regards,
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD
Customer:

I've had no blood in my stool, no fever, and unless I press down on my abs there is no pain, just some bloatedness. What I was concerned about was the muscle tenderness. It is not really that painful unless I really press down on it, but it's definitely the muscle that's tender. It feels as if I did ab crunches recently. But if gastroenteritis can cause such pain, then I should be okay. Right?

Customer:

Also, I've had some mild nausea but I think that's due to mucus in my throat going down into my stomach

Hello again!

It is possible that muscle tenderness may be caused by a viral infection - yes this is feasible. ( some strain of the muscle could be your cause but you do not suggest this is likely to your recollection)

Keep in mind that viral infections tend to be widespread and may affect different tissue types. It is common to have widespread muscle pain with a case of the flu for example...

So I would take an anti-inflammatory med and keep watch on your symptoms. Watch for progression or widening of symptoms as I described above. Increased tenderness or pain if the abdomen would be of concern.

I think it will be merely a transient symptom much more likely however.

I hope this information helps! Let me know if you have further questions!

Best Regards!

Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it.

Hello again!

If you have ongoing trouble with nausea then the Pepto Bismol may be of help with this symptom too. Other options over the counter for nausea would include Dramamine, Emetrol , Benedryl. Better MEDS for nausea are available by prescription which include Zofran and Phenergan.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!

Best regards!

Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor