Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

My daughter has dx of IBS. She has had difficulty with having

My daughter has dx of IBS. She has had difficulty with having a bowel movement for the past 5 days. It seems that only liquid is passing around it. What should she do?

I should mention that she had been in the hospital last weekend for 4 days due to an injury and subsequent infection caused by an animal bite. So she had not eaten for a few days and was on IV's. She is still taking antibiotics.

What should she do to manage this right now? She is not feeling good, needless to say, and knows that she needs to address it. Can you guide me please?

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about this

Dr Brims :

Has she had any bowel movement in the last 5 days?

Customer:

I believe the last one was 4 days ago, maybe 5.

Dr Brims :

Does she feel constipated?

Customer:

She conveys that she feels that the liquid is going around the feces and it is not evacuating.

Dr Brims :

Also, what has she tried so far?

Customer:

I know that she just went to the pharmacy and he recommended a laxative....senna s (?). She also took something 2 days ago

Dr Brims :

Okay, senna will induce bowel movements, but it will not soften the stool, in this type of case, a stool softener like colace is often helpful

Customer:

Does that require a rx?

Dr Brims :

No, it is OTC

Customer:

Is there a particular way in which to use this that will be most effective?

Customer:

Are there any side effects?

Customer:

??dosage

Dr Brims :

Usually 300mg a day is effective when it is taken 100mg three times a day

Dr Brims :

A side effect is diarrhea

Customer:

Are there side effects associated with it?

Customer:

Sorry, I just note....diarrhea is a side effect.

Customer:

Does she take it with liquid....

Customer:

foo?

Customer:

food?

Dr Brims :

Food high in fiber will be best, XXXXX XXXXX nuts etc.

Customer:

How long should it take to resolve the situation?

Customer:

Typically......I understand that not everyone's situation is the same.

Dr Brims :

It usually resolves within 7-10 days

Dr Brims :

With the stool softener, it should be less

Customer:

ok, so take the Colace and use foods high in fiber to the greatest degree possible. Should she take the senna to resolve the situation more quickly and begin a regimen of Colace daily?

Dr Brims :

If the senna was prescribed to her it may help, if not I would not recommend it as it may cause abdominal pain

Customer:

Good to know! Thanks.

Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome

Customer:

So just take the Colace 100 mg x 3 daily.

Dr Brims :

That is the most effective dose of colace

Customer:

Is there any danger here.....or is it fairly typical for IBS folks?

Dr Brims :

There is no imminent danger, if the stool remains after using colace then she will likely need a manual disimpaction

Customer:

So after a day or so?

Customer:

Or after another 4 or 5 days?

Dr Brims :

After about 2 days

Dr Brims :

She also needs to drink plenty of fluids

Customer:

Thank you so much for your help. I will convey to her, and hopefully she will resolve her issue.

Customer:

I appreciate your knowledge and your sensitivity!

Dr Brims :

You're very welcome

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to intrude yet again. We have secured the Senna-s. My understanding is each tab has 50 mg docusodium and 8.6 mg sennacide. What's the max per usage? How long does one wait to take a second dosage?

And lastly, can the tab be crushed?

She is extremely nauseous and has taken a clonipin to help with managing this.

Thanks for the guidance.

I don't recommend she use senna unless it was prescribed by her doctor, otherwise it may cause pain
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She took two tabs. I will convey that she stop with that at this point. She has a doc apt tomorrow.

For curiosity, can those tabs be crushed. She had a terrible time swallowing them because she was so nauseous.

It officially is not supposed to be crushed, but it will not cause any side effects to crush it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Again, many thanks!

To be sure I totally understood...............the two tabs that she took is adequate for now. She should not take any more until she sees doc??

Will it hurt her to take another in 6 or 8 hours from now? just trying to move things along here.................... :)

I don't think the 2 tabs she took will hurt her, but I would not recommend she take anymore senna if I were her doctor