Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician
9385906

Am I ok to quit xanax? I started a month ago today. I was

Am I ok to quit xanax? I started a month ago today. I was taking between 1.5 and 2 mg for a while and started tapering two weeks ago. I did 1.5 mg for a day, 1.25 mg for a day, 1 mg for a day, .75 mg for 4 days. Then I did 0.5 mg every other day for 2 days, and 0.25 every other day for another 4 days. It's now been 48 hours since my last 0.25 mg. I feel some discomfort, but it's not horrible. Am I ok to be done?

Greetings !

Welcome to the site.

Well you have done well so far although you could have weaned off a not more slower. Anyways the discomfort is most likely a withdrawal symptom but since it is not too much of a problem so you shall patiently wait and watch for next 1 week, this discomfort will most likely subside on it's own by that time.

If after a week the discomfort still remains then you shall have to restart yourself on 0.25 mg dose and restart the withdrawal by taking the dose on alternate days for 1 week followed by taking the same dose every 3rd day for 1 more week and then stop the drug completely.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer,

Regards..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Since I'm just at 48 hours since my last 0.25 mg, do you see any possibility of severe withdrawal at this point based on my length or usage and amount of usage?

I have zero history of using any pills or benzo's in my life prior to this and I'm 35. I just keep reading these horrible stories of withdrawal and seizures and complete psychosis online.

No, it seems unlikely after 48 hrs that any stronger withdrawal symptoms to develop, from here on you can only expect improvement to occur in your symptoms although exceptions are always there so look for any aggravation in your current distress which may warrant immediate check up in an emergency room. But as I said above you have very high chances of not developing any more and potentially serious side effects and can expect things to only become better as more time elapses.

I hope this helps.

Regards..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did just wake up from a very intense dream and it made me start looking up withdrawal symptoms. I'm now about 61 hours since that last 0.25 mg. Do you think I am still at risk for seizures based on my usage?

No, I do not think there is any risk of seizure as good amount of time has elapsed but if you continue to panic like this you may get a panic attack which may effect your recovery.

I can understand that you are concerned about your health but I urge you not to jump to hasty conclusions yourself as this may only add to your distress.

So please calm down and carry on with your routine chores and just be vigilant but not paranoid about your symptoms. Soon all of this will be over , so hang in there.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best and take care.

Regards..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Who are the people who are having seizures 5 days or more after quitting? Are these people who were taking Xanax for a longer period of time or at higher doses? Some people online are talking about how they would go into a seizure while driving and it was days or weeks after they stopped. I just want to be safe and sure.

These people are those who inherently had the propensity towards development of seizures and hence they developed it. May I also add that undue overwhelming stress may also precipitate seizures in those who are inherently vulnerable , so please do not generalize this upon yourself. I am not in any way saying that you become careless and ignorant about your symptoms , yes you got to be cautious but do not let this cloud your mind and put pressure upon you and cause you distress.

All I am saying is to be vigilant and take action as per the situation. As of now everything seems to be going fine so please stop speculating about seizures.

I hope this helps.

Regards..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok,I'll try to relax. Thank you.

Take care.

Regards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am experiencing minor ringing in my ears. I'm at 73 hours since my last 0.25 now. Should I be concerned?

Kindly please get your ears examined by an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) specialist to rule out organic pathology of ear, only after that should you relate this ringing with the use of drug.

Regards..