Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

internal buzzing in left foot for 9 years and now has moved

internal buzzing in left foot for 9 years and now has moved up to left knee left side of neck neck and shoulder all on left side worst at rest or night. Last two weeks has been non stop. No pain no other symptons. Feels like a buzzing motor going on at times it quietsdown then revs back up again. Recently had physical all was good do not take any meds thyroid ok, never been on hormonses , do not smoke ocassionaly drink, limited amount of coffee decaf only . Organic diet , eat lots of greens. Could lose 10 pounds to be at a good weight.
These symptns were strong nine years ago when I first had them also had an occular migrane for the first time.
ove the years all calmed down so I forgot about it. Now has returned very bad.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about this

Dr Brims :

Have you had any tests like an x ray?

Customer:

Years ago I had a mri ofthe brain and cat scans of the neck and foot all normal

Dr Brims :

So did you have an x ray, CT scan or MRI of your foot?

Customer:

Also had alot of bloodwork to check for lyme disease and thyroid problems all normal. Yeshad all that done yeas ago catscan mri of foot and brain and neck

Dr Brims :

And it has remained for 9 years?

Customer:

No it went away for awhile and just recently came back over the last few weeks really stronger especially in the left foot and leg all he time and then when sleep i feel it in neck and shoulder

Dr Brims :

And you are not on any medication?

Customer:

NONE

Customer:

only vitamins vitamin B complex muti vitamin fish oil probiodic magnesium

Dr Brims :

Have you ever been diagnosed with any medical condition?

Customer:

no

Customer:

wait yes occular migranes also started 9 years ago

Customer:

but they are not bad and only get them every other month

Dr Brims :

Okay, have you had any blood tests?

Customer:

yes just had my physical and all was normal checked thyroid and cortisol and vitamin d and b vitamins and homocysteine all normal

Dr Brims :

WHy did they check homocysteine?

Customer:

because I go to a holistic doctor and she does tht as part of her testing

Dr Brims :

Okay, did you have your electrolytes checked?

Customer:

no I do not think so

Dr Brims :

Okay, this may be due to an electrolyte abnormality, so I would recommend you have a test called a complete metabolic profile

Customer:

can that cause these symptons?

Dr Brims :

Yes, an electrolyte abnormality can cause irritation of the nerves, which can cause your current symptoms

Customer:

just found that test I had it all normal

Customer:

glucose serum bu efr potassium proten etc all normal

Dr Brims :

Okay, then the next step is to have a test called an electromyelogram to assess your nerves and nerve function

Customer:

I had a nerve function teswt originally when first started and it was normal

Dr Brims :

I see, then you may need to have a blood test called a CPK to assess your muscles and make sure there is no damage, I would also consider having an angiogram to evaluate your arterial function

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

what kind of test is CPK? The doctor cardiac doctor I go to also an internist doews not feel I need any cardiac testing. I go to both natural and regular doctors. I have asked him there is no heart disease in my family .

Dr Brims :

CPK is a test that will determine if you have any muscle damage, it is not a heart test. Your sympotms may be due to muscle damage

Customer:

wouldn't I have muscle weakness or pain?

Customer:

how is that test performed?

Dr Brims :

No, you may not have muscle weakness nor pain, it is a blood test

Customer:

ok will do that , so that could cause these symptons then ?

Dr Brims :

Yes, that could cause the symptoms you have

Customer:

thank u

Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome

Dr Brims :

If you still have questions on this topic, please feel free to ask

Dr Brims :

If you have no other questions, you may click a rating button to end this session

Customer:

so does that blood test show if there i a problem in the muscles? Is there anything else you can reccomend or think it can be have you ever heard this only in left foot on one side of body buzz liek internal tremor?

Dr Brims :

Yes, the blood test shows if there is a problem in the muscle

Customer:

what type of doctor should i see for that test?

Dr Brims :

I would not recommend any other test until you have had a CK test (creatinine kinase)

Dr Brims :

You should see an internal medicine physician

Customer:

sounds g ood the test is cpk or ck?

Dr Brims :

CK, some people call it a CPK as well (creatinine phosphokinase). They are the same thing

Customer:

thanks will do

Dr Brims :

You're welcome

Customer:

good bye

Dr Brims :

Bye

Dr Brims :

Please remember to click a rating button to close the chat session

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience