Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience
8227957

Hi I have this painful throat for the last 3-4 weeks now.

Hi

I have this painful throat for the last 3-4 weeks now. Last week I had some blood in my spit, when I bring the spit up from deep of my throat ( not normally) The first week itself, I consulted an ENT and he checked and said its just inflammation, he gave me antibiotics (100mg one every night) for a week and then 200 mg for the next week. The blood came after last week though and also yesterday, when I brought spit up from inside(like the deep of my throat). I went to the ENT again last week after seeing blood and he said it was inflammation. Should I be worried?? I dont have any pain when swallowing or when food moves down. My voice is also fine
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

Did you have any test? sputum or mucus? X ray, blood etc?

Did doctor advise about antibiotics this time?

Did he prescribe any other medicine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did have an X-ray in April, which was clear. No sputum or mucus test. Though, mucus is clear, and so is the normal spit in my mouth. But I have this feeling in the back of my throat of mucus being there ( like always)

The doctor chekced my throat, asked me some questions and told me that there is no more infection, only inflammation and advised me to not drink anything cold. He also stopped the antibiotics.

He has prescribed me Neuzym-90 mg and Tranexamic Acid capsules 250 mg, 3 times a day for 2 weeks

I've been on Tranexamic capsules from the beginning and he gave me mucodyne initially.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Did you have blood counts? Throat swab test?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, nothing of the sorts.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Kabir, for the information,

There are a few causes of blood in the spit.

As you had pain in the throat, there was likely an infection.

With antibiotic therapy, the infection should clear up.

I feel you should not take antibiotic of your own.

You can take a throat swab test to check whether there is an infection still there.

Blood count can be taken where it can suggest an infection, bleeding disorder.

There can be other causes for the blood.

Reflux can cause blood in the spit,

It can also come from the mouth like gum bleeding or from lungs.

Allergy can cause a drip of mucus in the throat.

I would advise to discuss with your doctor about those other possibilities.

Doctor can then decide about tests after the clinical examination.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just one query! You see, I am extremely paranoid about.... having cancer. And that has just made my life all the much worse. I cant get this thought out of my head, and to be honest, that is the one thought that scares me the most. I was here a year ago also, with problems of stomach, and I had to get a colonoscopy done to get my doubts cleared away. I have this heavy head feeling even now, similar to last year..... Just asking, but can all this stress also act as a trigger for these conditions I am experiencing; and what should I do to get a normal life back again! thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
I feel you should not be worried about cancer.

The ENT doctor has examined your throat & did not find any such besides an inflammation.

Inflammation & infection are common causes at your age.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX worried because its been on for almost 4 weeks now.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
You are always welcome.

Infection can persist for weeks.

Sometimes there can be chronic inflammation or chronic pharyngitis.

If you are satisfied, please leave an excellent rating.

Best wishes.
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks!!