Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Hello I went to an after hours clinic on Friday evening for

Hello I went to an after hours clinic on Friday evening for my left eye that was swollen. I had noticed a little discomfort in my lower area but didn't think to say anything when i was there. They told me i had an infection in my eye and gave me a prescription for Bactrim. On saturday early i woke up with itching in my female area. It is so bad i can't wipe with toilet paper. it itches constantly. It is now swollen and red.Will the bactrim help or should i return to the doctor?
Hi. You can give the Bactrim another day do see if it helps with the vaginal problem, but, if it doesn't, this is probably a yeast infection and you can for now use over the counter Lamisil or Monistat cream for this. If that doesn't help either then you need another exam and a culture to see if you need a different antibiotic for the vaginal problem.